Smelly Dog

I have a rescue – Banjo – he is a border collie with a LONG coat. When he came from the pound he stunk and was riddled with fleas, I gave him capstar and a bath, then a few days later after he was no longer matted I gave him a flea bath. He then got revolution on his neck so the fleas are gone. Within two days of being washed he smells like smelly feet. And his skin is flaky on his back.

I have started to feed him nutro choice with a sardine on top to give him more oils and I washed him a couple of days ago with emu oil dog shampoo. Yet he already smells (a lot) and his coat is almost waxy and not clean feeling at all. He also bites at his skin a lot so it is obviously irritated.

Has anyone ever encountered a condition like this?

Any tips on helping him out?

Is brushing him every day helping or irritating it more?

cheers

This could be caused by so many things that I'd be seeing the vet rather than asking here. ;)

In the meantime, stop washing the dog as this could be making things worse. Also, try to see if there's a particular time that the dog behaves differently, such as scratching or chewing the skin. If there's a smell it definitely warrants investigation IMO. Dogs on a good quality diet shouldn't smell, or shouldn't smell much anyway. :D

he may be allergic to the revolution which is an ivermectin derivative or he maybe allergic to the shampoo you used.

Brushing certainly helps to bring the oils out in any coat.

What you are seeing is scurfing which could be either a reaction to the shampoo or you have not rinsed him out well enough so he still has a layer of the shampoo on his skin.

Personally i would be using Groomers EPO shampoo and washing him in that twice a week until his skin settles down.

Also check his ears to see if that is where the smell is also coming from.

What was he being fed on before you got him?

Not all dogs do well on what we would prefer to feed them and he may need far more oils in his diet and possibly other additives to get his immune system back working properly.

if the dog is matted you will not bed able to rinse the shampoo out properly.

i would give him a bath in malaseb and a good brush on his coat.

Are you able to book him in to my work Chloes Dad? we are in Manly.

Have you only just got him? You never know what he'd be fed before you took over. What they're fed can often have an effect. I feed my dog sardines in oil but I only give it to her twice a week.

I had my foster shih tzu at the vet last night to get his desexing stitches out and she said he had an infection. It was the same as what you are describing - flaky skin on his lower back and it SMELLS!! She gave me Rilexine - 2 week course. He has had several malaseb baths but needs the extra meds to kick the infection... I would definately recommend a vet checking him out.

years ago we had freinds that actually stole a dog from an abbatoir. she was chained up all the time and had had puppies she was only fed what ever came from the meat works as scrap and was given the same quality of water too. she absolutely stunk from the enviroment she lived in, I mean inside and out it was repulsive ! I bathed her about seven times over 2 days before it started to fade but the smell lingered at my place for days after she went. then we found the string collar hanging on our fence that was used to tie her up. Hence the old saying you are what you eat. her skin problems came good with proper care and feeding and was placed in a loving and caring enviroment where she finally enjoyed life.

Chris

Yep - smelly skin definitely means a vet check. Could be a number of things, a secondary problem resulting from something else going on inside or could just be a skin issue that needs a medicated shampoo. But I would definitely be getting it checked out to rule out anything else more serious...

Let us know how you go!!

Yep - smelly skin definitely means a vet check. Could be a number of things, a secondary problem resulting from something else going on inside or could just be a skin issue that needs a medicated shampoo. But I would definitely be getting it checked out to rule out anything else more serious...

Let us know how you go!!

Thanks everyone - he will be off to the vet tomorrow, Wylie I think may be on to something with the ears, it seems to be stronger there.

I have no idea what he was fed before we rescued him. i can only assume it wasn't good and it also was not much he was so skinny.

on the upside I have noticed he is really starting to bounce back in his energy levels and is starting to play with my pup a lot so I think maybe the new diet is staring to work :laugh:

will keep you all posted

Just a quick update,

Took the big guy off to the vet tonight, his ears were pretty bad so they have had a clean and he has been given drops and an anti inflammatory shot. For his skin the vet suggested washing him twice a week with malasab. She said it seems like a slight yeast infection or an allergic reaction.

And how about this, The vet asked me if I was paying or if the rescue org was paying, I said I will and I will call it a donation, the vet said well in that case I will just charge for the shampoo and the drops and call the consult fee a donation. Thought that was pretty cool of her - West Ryde Vet if you are wondering.

Just make sure you leave the Malaseb on for ten minutes, it doesn't start acting until after seven. You can also use it in her ears as a cleanser for the yeast problem. Dilute one part Malaseb to 50 parts water.

West Ryde vets are great! They often help out when people need them :)

Just a quick update,

Took the big guy off to the vet tonight, his ears were pretty bad so they have had a clean and he has been given drops and an anti inflammatory shot. For his skin the vet suggested washing him twice a week with malasab. She said it seems like a slight yeast infection or an allergic reaction.

And how about this, The vet asked me if I was paying or if the rescue org was paying, I said I will and I will call it a donation, the vet said well in that case I will just charge for the shampoo and the drops and call the consult fee a donation. Thought that was pretty cool of her - West Ryde Vet if you are wondering.

west ryde vets are generally pretty good. :)

are you linked with a foster group?

.... how about this, The vet asked me if I was paying or if the rescue org was paying, I said I will and I will call it a donation, the vet said well in that case I will just charge for the shampoo and the drops and call the consult fee a donation. Thought that was pretty cool of her - West Ryde Vet if you are wondering.

:thumbsup:

Just a quick update,

west ryde vets are generally pretty good. :thumbsup:

are you linked with a foster group?

yep i am fostering banjo for 4 paws