Video Of An Afghan Doing Ccd

For your entertainment I've put the video of Faxon and I doing CCD at the ACT State Titles up on youtube.

The Individual exercises:

The Stays:

We got 14/30 for our heeling and blew our sit stay so NQed.

Bear.

You're braver than me, I'm too scared to trial :laugh:

His coat is looking good too :laugh:

Not sure if it's brave or foolish. :love: I made a decision when we started trialling that it had to be fun for both of us. So far he seems to still be enjoying it and I've only had a couple of really bad stress attacks. When the stress attacks happen I remind myself that it is FUN! :rofl:

Thanks for the comment on his coat. I've got much better at grooming him over the last year. Having all the right gear helps.

Bear.

Nice recall! :laugh:

Thanks!

Believe it or not the recall is one of the areas we are having a huge problem with. A lot of the time he will simply sit and look off to the side when I call. We're working on improving it.

Bear.

Awwwww it's lovely to see an afghan in the ring, well done for giving it ago.

Did you trial at the Canberra Royal by any chance? I thought I remembered an afghan trialling there when we were down.

Can I give some constructive criticism? :laugh: When you give the command "heel" try to make it sound the same everytime you say it, at least in that video it sounded different almost every time :D . Also, is there a reason that you use your left hand to drop the dog? Most people find it easier (& it tends to look neater for the ring & the dog is less likely to miss the signal) if you use your right hand held flat & moved perpendicular to the ground (I hope you now what Im saying, Im not sure if I have even described it right :love::rofl: ). He did the stand for exam very well & a lovely recall :laugh: .

Anyway once again, well done for giving it a go & good luck with him in his future trials :laugh: .

Edited by MrsD

Awwwww it's lovely to see an afghan in the ring, well done for giving it ago.

Did you trial at the Canberra Royal by any chance? I thought I remembered an afghan trialling there when we were down.

Can I give some constructive criticism? :laugh: When you give the command "heel" try to make it sound the same everytime you say it, at least in that video it sounded different almost every time :) . Also, is there a reason that you use your left hand to drop the dog? Most people find it easier (& it tends to look neater for the ring & the dog is less likely to miss the signal) if you use your right hand held flat & moved perpendicular to the ground (I hope you now what Im saying, Im not sure if I have even described it right :love::rofl: ). He did the stand for exam very well & a lovely recall :laugh: .

Anyway once again, well done for giving it a go & good luck with him in his future trials :laugh: .

Thanks - we try to at least provide light entertainment if not a good performance.

Yup we were at the Canberra Royal. :D there is a slide show at http://www.youtube.com/bearandanita if you want to watch.

Thanks for the comments - I'm open to all suggestions on how to improve. :) The reason I use my left hand for all my signals is that I'm a leftie and find it easier using my left hand rather than my right. The other problem I have with using my right hand is that I have to turn my body which tends to drive him back. I've spent an awful lot of time simply learning not to look back at him for the same reason.

Bear.

Thanks - we try to at least provide light entertainment if not a good performance.

Yup we were at the Canberra Royal. :D there is a slide show at http://www.youtube.com/bearandanita if you want to watch.

Thanks for the comments - I'm open to all suggestions on how to improve. :) The reason I use my left hand for all my signals is that I'm a leftie and find it easier using my left hand rather than my right. The other problem I have with using my right hand is that I have to turn my body which tends to drive him back. I've spent an awful lot of time simply learning not to look back at him for the same reason.

Bear.

Bear, thought it must have been you, too much co-incidence for 2 afghans to be doing obedience in Canberra :laugh: .

I can see what you are saying with the right vs left signals, if it pushes him back that's a bad thing, my only suggestion would be that if you did use your right hand to use a food treat in it & try to lure him up with it. Otherwise just stick with the left hand, but it just looked like he may have missed the signal the 1st time & perhaps that's why he missed that 1st drop :) .

Let us know when he gets his title, that's got to be worth a :rofl: even if only a virtual one for us :laugh: .

ETA - Sue make sure you tell us when your first trial is, the boys & I want to come along & be Harvey's cheer squad :laugh::love: .

Edited by MrsD

You can come to his second one Mrs D if their is one lol,he may shame me, I am more worried about the other dogs eating him lol they may mistaken him for a RAT :laugh::love:

Awwwww poor little Harvey, ye of little faith - in both Harvey & the other dogs as well :rofl: .

Well done I am going to have a go at trialling at the end of the year with Harvey the Chihuahua should be fun :laugh:

There are UD Chi's in the USA Varicool.

I've seen Bear and Faxon's trial at State Titles .. I was one of the Figure 8 posts!!!! :rofl:

Bear, thought it must have been you, too much co-incidence for 2 afghans to be doing obedience in Canberra :love: .

I can see what you are saying with the right vs left signals, if it pushes him back that's a bad thing, my only suggestion would be that if you did use your right hand to use a food treat in it & try to lure him up with it. Otherwise just stick with the left hand, but it just looked like he may have missed the signal the 1st time & perhaps that's why he missed that 1st drop :D .

Let us know when he gets his title, that's got to be worth a :laugh: even if only a virtual one for us :laugh: .

I suspect he missed the signal because it was too fast - I'm working on slowing my signals. :laugh:

It might be a while till we get a title - we are sitting on one pass so I know we can do it. The problem with trialling with an Afghan is they decide to play by their rules part way through. Faxon is an entertainer if he can get a laugh out of me, the Judge or the crowd he is very pleased with himself. I have forced myself not to laugh at his antics in the ring - although at times that is difficult. :rofl:

Bear.