New Staffy Puppy

Nat

I am getting a blue staffy pup in a few weeks and am not entirely sure what and when to feed him.

I have done some research and have all the training side of things worked out but when it comes to feeding time i have been told quite a few different things.

The breeder recommended to put him on Ekubana (not sure if spelt right!) or puppy super coat but how often would i feed him that? I have also been told to add meat into his diet as well as few times a week and also some veges, etc.

If anyone can let me know how many times a week he should have what it would be appreciated as dont want to under feed/over feed or not feed him the right stuff!!

Also is it bad to feed them when a puppy one main meal a day with something like a snack as well during the day. Some poeple say its bad, others say its fine.

Anyone have any suggestions for me...

An 8 week old pup should have 3-4 small meals a day. They just can't digest larger amounts, but need the food for growth. A puppy is not unlike a baby- you wouldn't feed yourself, let alone a baby, one meal a day + snack? Many people feed their adult dogs once a day which is fine.

Raw foods like chicken necks, chicken wings and bones are great for puppy teeth. I'm sure he'd love a couple of chicken necks for a meal each day. You'll find lots of disagreement over which commercial foods are best. Decide what you can afford, as some are $80+/ 15kg bag.

Your breeder should have an information pack including exactly what to feed, when, how often, worming, vaccination next due etc. It's stressful for pup to go to his new home and this can cause stomach upset. It's not a good time to change his diet.

Good luck with pup :laugh: .

Thanks for your reply.

So how many days per week should i be giving him things like chicken necks, etc?

What about red meat? Is it fine to give all meats to them raw or are some better cooked?

Sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure i do it right :laugh:

So from what i can gather i should mix it up every day and give him dry meals as well as meat and veges.........

Hi Nat, welcome to DOL!

Generally most breeders will give you an information pack which includes feeding, what to feed etc. It might be a good idea to check what it is the breeder is feeding and feed the same diet for a few days and then slowly change it to what you would like to feed.

It is also up to you whether you feed your meat raw or cooked. On DOL, there are many differing opinions on what food is best but it may pay you to do some research into Dr Billinghursts BARF diet. there is lots of information on DOL if you do a search.

Diet is really a personal preference and I find it depends on your own lifestyle what you can feed your dogs.

As for feeding times definately 3-4 smaller meals again i would check with the breeder to see what times the litter get their meals now and mimic that for a while.

And stick around on DOL you will learn heaps!!

Decide what you can afford, as some are $80+/ 15kg bag.

Don't be too worried about the cost of premium and super premium foods because they are highly digestible which means you actually feed less than if you were feeding a cheap crap food so the cost per day works out cheaper :laugh::rofl:

My puppy gets a mix of raw and cooked meats.

Brekkie she gets kibble.

Lunch is a whole chicken neck, or half a chicken wing, uncooked (she's only a little dog)

Dinner she gets either cooked/raw beef or chicken mince with pureed vegies through. Make sure they're pureed as your dog won't be able to digest and break them down otherwise.

Lots of people will tell you that rice is not a good choice for mixing into regular meals as it's just a filler and has a low nutritional value for the dog.

Hope this helps.

PS- I haven't heard many good things about Supercoat... maybe you should try to phase this out with something like Nutro or Royal Canin?

Hi there,

I have only ever fed Jak twice a day, simply due to my lifestyle as I am at work all day, so fitting in a 3rd meal there was impossible. She is a healthy weight etc. I also give her a beef soup bone every couple of days which she just loves. The first and only time I gave her a raw chicken neck she practically swallowed it whole and then regurgitated it. I haven't given her one since.

I am sad to report that I feed her can food (tsk tsk) and mix in Eukanuba dry food. Again, this is due to my lifestyle. I don't even cook for myself so I'm not about to cook for her. If only she could eat Lean Cuisines. haha.

You can follow the guidelines of feeding quantities on the packages, but ultimately if you find that your pup isn't eating it all then you're probably feeding too much etc.

Good luck and if you get stuck we're all here :-)

So how many days per week should i be giving him things like chicken necks, etc?

I usually give my guys at least a bit of raw food each day. Personal preference. At least a few times a week would be good, I think.

What about red meat? Is it fine to give all meats to them raw or are some better cooked?

I prefer to give them it all raw. Cooked pet mince smells pretty awful and nothing to be gained by cooking IMO.

So from what i can gather i should mix it up every day and give him dry meals as well as meat and veges.........

Just be careful with the veges as dogs can have some trouble digesting them. A few people cook, then mash or puree them. I don't feed mine veges very much, but give them bits and pieces sometimes.

I'd feed whatever the breeder's feeding at the same times (if possible) for at least a few weeks. Later on, make any diet changes slowly e.g. new dry food- add a little to the old until it's all new food over about 5 days.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Guest Tiggy

I'm picking up my Stafford pup on Saturday. I'll be feeding chicken necks/wings, Dr B's BARF Patties and Vet's All Natural Puppy Complete Mix. I'll feed him 3 meals a day probably until he's six months then drop to two. I'll start him off on 500g of food spread over the 3 meals, 250g for breakfast, 125g at lunch and dinner and see how he goes. This is how much I fed my last Stafford pup and she was a lean healthy pup and now a lean healthy adult. I hope this helps. Enjoy your pup!

My only reccomendation is look at a super premium kibble if you are going ot feed kibble

Nutro, Nutrience, Eagle Pack etc

Yea around th e$100 mark for 15kg but for one pup should last 3 months or so.

Break it down, $1.00 a day

I'm thinking about trying the Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken for my pup.

I've had Leah on that for a few weeks now and she's been the best poop wise since I've had her. She has an extremely sensitive tummy. I bought the last bag at Petstock about 3 weeks ago and went to get some more on Sunday and they were out of chicken and several of the other varieties. They don't know when they are getting more in. :rofl: Anyone else having trouble getting some of the varieties? I know a while back some varieties were out of stock for a while. If the supply is unreliable I'll have to change her to another brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help.

So where can i find this brand, Dr B BARF patties , etc? I have never heard of this brand.

What is the best place to go in the eastern suburbs in terms of a pet store that stocks all the good stuff?

I get my puppy in a few weeks so i still have some time up my sleeve to get organised.

Here are a couple of cute photos!

post-18288-1183339610_thumb.jpg

post-18288-1183339703_thumb.jpg

post-18288-1183339724_thumb.jpg

Hope they come through alright

Something i have found is blues can often require a more specialized diet & can be prone to being more sensitive.

If your breeder is a good registered one they will be a wealth of knowledge on diet but most importantly breed specific,some breeds just dont do well on certain foods so its important you seek the advice of your breeder or discuss any foods you may want to feed as a pup.

I dont & do not recommend feeding beef as it creates as sorts of skin issues & upset tummies,some dogs can be highly allergic to chicken.

If your breeder is on email ask them to send the diet sheet to you so you can look at it & then seek advice on the best place for purchasing

I am getting a blue staffy pup in a few weeks and am not entirely sure what and when to feed him.

I have done some research and have all the training side of things worked out but when it comes to feeding time i have been told quite a few different things.

The breeder recommended to put him on Ekubana (not sure if spelt right!) or puppy super coat but how often would i feed him that? I have also been told to add meat into his diet as well as few times a week and also some veges, etc.

If anyone can let me know how many times a week he should have what it would be appreciated as dont want to under feed/over feed or not feed him the right stuff!!

Also is it bad to feed them when a puppy one main meal a day with something like a snack as well during the day. Some poeple say its bad, others say its fine.

Anyone have any suggestions for me...

Hi Nat, definately follow your breeders recommendations to begin with with regards to diet. You can then gradually change it over to what you want.

My Stafford pup is 7 months now and I feed her Eaglepack Holistic Chicken (from Petstock) which is suitable for puppies and adults. I then add different things to it eg. sardines (her favourite), chicken mince, raw bones/chicken wings, raw eggs, grated cheese, pureed cooked vegies and natural yoghurt so she gets a lot of variety.

We started on 3 meals a day and have been on 2 (breakfast and tea) for quite a while. I will keep her on 2 meals a day now.

Good luck with your little boy and welcome to DOL.

Jodie

Edited by jlb