When Your Dog Is A Bit Off Colour

Inspired by FTPO and Benson.

There were some good suggestions that I hadn't heard of before.

what would you give your dog if they have a bout of vomiting and runs, but don't really warrant going to the vet.... ie: dog is still feeling fine, acting normal.

*I think Souff recommended giving natural yoghurt.

*It is common that chicken breast and rice is good for settling a stomach.

Any other suggestions?

i get gastrolyte sachets from the chemist and give 1/4 teaspoon in a cup of water.

couldn't get to the vet once (he was doing surgery on a horse) and he said to use that.

its a pink and purple box. if i can lay my hands on it again, i'll give you all the details.

Jenna

Starve for 24 hours then small meals of boiled rice & skinless chicken with a dollop of good plain yogurt.

Dehydration can occur quite quickly.

Sticky rather than wet gums are a symptom as is a hand full of skin on the back of the dogs neck which stays crunched up when let go after being grabbed gently.

If you can't get hold of an electrolyte mix at the chemist: 1 teaspoon sugar & one eighth teaspoon salt dissolved in a cup of water works. So does a teaspoon of black strap molasses, which contains Sugar & Sodium plus other trace minerals, dissolved in water.

If the dog will not drink, a syringe without a needle can be used to get liquids into the side of the dogs mouth and hopefully he will swallow at least some of it.

Keep dog quiet & warm and all should be well in a couple of days.

If worried or not sure things are improving Get to the Vet.

Never yogurt for Gomez - it would make his bowels much worse!

I will boil some skinless chicken in water with a carrot or some pumpkin (only, no salt, or stock cubes) and feed the chicken with some overcooked brown rice and a bit of the stock mixed in - then cool off what's left of the stock and put in his water dish to encourage drinking.

If it's summer, I'll put some of the stock in ice cube trays and let him suck on a frozen stock cube... keeps him hydrated and he feels he's getting more than water... hehehe

When my boy went from pooh-ing normal to spraying water (all in one pooh) I put him on a 24 hour fast.

He contimued to spray water for anothr day (every couple of hours day and night) and I was worried about dehydration.

We were on holiday and he wouldn't drink much so I boiled up a chicken frame in about 2 litres of water, then gave him bowls of water with a tablespoon of "stock" regularly which he lapped up.

Then onto boiled chicken and rice for 48 hours, by which time his poohs became normal.

He had no vomiting and no other signs of being unwell, I think whatever he had, just needed to be flushed from his system.

Our other dog didn't get "it".

annieK

First of all I would fast the dog at least 1-2 days to see if he settles than.

If tha is the case I would start feeding (raw) chicken with some rice in small amounts 3-4 times a day.

A very helpful treatment for upset intestinies is slippery elm!

You can also give that (a mix of slippery elm with warm water like a kind of porridge) instead or additionally.

But as I said first of all stopp feeding at all! :confused:

That will definatelt help the most to get everything back to normal! :rofl: