Is Honey Bad For Dogs?

I haven't heard about honey being bad, but I suppose it may be that by being a live culture, there may be a risk of botulism.

Pizza I would suggest that it would be the onions on the pizza as they are toxic to dogs in any form.

Honey is good for dogs, and people. A lot of people actually use it to help with pollen/grass allergies. If you can get local honey, the pollens used by the bees are the ones that you or your dog is probably allergic to. By eating the honey you desensitise yourself/your dog to the pollens.

I know quite a few people who are seriously using honey as an antidote to allergies in their dogs. I had a paper written by someone who had been trialling it for several years. I'll have a hunt around for it, and try to copy it here.

But the basic idea is that you give your dogs about a tablespoon of honey daily in the period leading up to allergy season, and during the allergy season.

But you need to be sure that the allergy your dog has is pollen/grasses, not something else like food, for it to work to combat the allergy.

Edit - can't find the article, but messaged someone. It's actually about a teaspoon twice a day, and the comb is best by far. Local area is defined as within about 25km.

Edited by monsterpup

Yummo I love honey. Never given it to the dogs, but I've just never thought to, must give it a try.

I will confess something though, on the very rare ocassion that we get pizza (like every 4-5 months) we let our dogs eat some of the crusts! :mad

Not much mind you, just a little bit for a treat. They love it and they can smell it coming. :rofl: But I wouldn't give them actually pizza or anything with onion on it.

But I can't be that bad, I believe that is the only thing that we give them as a naughty treat!

Honey is good for dogs, and people. A lot of people actually use it to help with pollen/grass allergies. If you can get local honey, the pollens used by the bees are the ones that you or your dog is probably allergic to. By eating the honey you desensitise yourself/your dog to the pollens.

That's nice to know. We had a bee hive in an old bin when we bought our house, we had the bees relocated and still have 2 liters of their honey in the cupboard - I know a little pooch who's getting honey with his yogurt tonight. :rofl:

Honey is great for dogs.

Ollie has stomach problems and when he is a bit restless, I give him a good teaspoon of Manuka honey and it seems to settle any nausea (better than giving him maxalon all the time).

Jodie

That's nice to know. We had a bee hive in an old bin when we bought our house, we had the bees relocated and still have 2 liters of their honey in the cupboard - I know a little pooch who's getting honey with his yogurt tonight. :o

Wow, you are really lucky! You couldn't get more local than that!

We used to be able to get local honey from an old guy near us, but he moved :p

Now I wait for the local farmers market - they sometimes have it there. Dogs are not allergic, but daughter is.

I have fed the "Active Manuka Honey". Yes - it was expensive. $15.00 for a smallish jar (and that was about 7 years ago). But I used it for me as well as for Kal and it lasted me for years. Although I generally only used it when it was needed (eg. sore throats; stomach upsets; lethargic symptoms; etc.) not for everyday use. (I admit I snuck a bit for the odd sandwich now and again :mad.) I used it for a foster pup with suspected Canine Cough too. Worked brilliantly and very quickly. I've also used it on the occasional wound (for me and the dog). :laugh:

A definate "must have" for the medical cabinet.

But I agree - expensive for everyday use.