Bachflower Remedies

:eek: I've been advised that bach flower remedies can be helpful in managing behaviour problems in dogs and have a list of different ones to use for each different problem. I've never used any natural type things on myself or dogs and was wondering if anyone had experience with this type of thing and how it went. Thanks guys.

I have always used rescue remedies for my foster dogs and dogs that are anxious in storms you can also buy a product called calm water which has bach flower already mixed in ,used to use it for my cats who were a little crazy. Some dogs will respond better than others.

Bach flowers are great for animals - sometimes it can be a bit harder to select the correct remedies because you can't ask them questions :cry: But even if they aren't exactly right for the problem you are addressing, they won't do any harm.

You probably don't want to start off with too many at once, as that can just confuse the issue, and obscure the real problem.

Where did you get the list that you mentioned? Was it from a practitioner?

Bach flowers are great for animals - sometimes it can be a bit harder to select the correct remedies because you can't ask them questions :cry: But even if they aren't exactly right for the problem you are addressing, they won't do any harm.

You probably don't want to start off with too many at once, as that can just confuse the issue, and obscure the real problem.

:cry: Thanks for alll the info. I'm very 'green' at this. The list was from a professional dog behaviourist. I will get some this week. My local health shop has a naturopath who prepares them, and I thought maybe just a mix of 3 first. Is that too many. How often do you give it. I was told 4 drops under the tongue. Is this once a day? And if it takes a while, what do people call a while? A week, a month? Or does it depend on the dog? I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing if it does have an effect. What should I look for? I'm after calm, less anxious and less fear aggression. Thanks again everyone.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:) Thanks for alll the info. I'm very 'green' at this. The list was from a professional dog behaviourist. I will get some this week. My local health shop has a naturopath who prepares them, and I thought maybe just a mix of 3 first. Is that too many. How often do you give it. I was told 4 drops under the tongue. Is this once a day? And if it takes a while, what do people call a while? A week, a month? Or does it depend on the dog? I'm looking forward to trying it out and seeing if it does have an effect. What should I look for? I'm after calm, less anxious and less fear aggression. Thanks again everyone.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bach flower remedies come already prepared, from the Dr Edward Bach Centre, at Mt Vernon. You shouldn't need a naturopath to "prepare" them for you. :cry: Do you mean they are going to mix several remedies together for you into a treatment bottle? You would be much better to buy the full bottles of each remedy and mix them yourself. It's very simple, and will end up being cheaper for you, I imagine, if you want to persevere with the remedies. (About 3 weeks is the "usual" time for humans to feel effects, but animals are often faster)

You would use 4 drops of Rescue Remedy (which is five remedies already mixed) as often as needed, but if you are mixing the other remedies, you would be using two drops of each remedy in a 30ml treatment bottle of still mineral water. You would use 4 drops from this bottle about 4 times a day. You can put it in food or drinking water.

Which remedies did they recommend?

Hi Monah, glad to hear you're considering the Bach Flower remedies. As I mentioned to you before (I think!) I used them with great success with my Spinone who came to me as a 5 year old, only ever having been a kennel dog. Along with training (and this is important! the remedies helped me to be able to train her, they weren't the cure all), she really blossomed.

Hi Monah, glad to hear you're considering the Bach Flower remedies. As I mentioned to you before (I think!) I used them with great success with my Spinone who came to me as a 5 year old, only ever having been a kennel dog. Along with training (and this is important! the remedies helped me to be able to train her, they weren't the cure all), she really blossomed.

Hi, FHR + P, Yes, I remember. It's for my viz who can be 'not very nice' with the spin sometimes. The spin is the loveliest pup I've ever had (although super destructive!! not on purpose, she's just so clumsy!), and the viz has always had 'issues'. She is being trained (every second! is getting very tiring) and has shown improvement. We have to be VERY firm with her. She screamed and whined last night for 40 mins (at 3 of us, for attention, even pretended she needed to go out so I'd get up! and I had taken her for a 5k bike ride and a 2 hour visit to my mum's. She's very demanding).Anyway, she finally exhausted herself and gave up. We just had the tv on super loud so we could hear it!! We all ignored her as, if you so much as look at her, her behaviour is prolonged.

Monsterpup, There is a fairly long list, but from the descriptions I thought my dog may need Aspen, for generally fearful and anxious pets who are apprehensive when meeting strangers, Cherry plum, for stressed pets that sometimes snap or bite but are then upset by what they have done. Chicory, for pets that like to rule the roost. Holly, Pets that show anger, hatred and envy or jealousy. Useful for pets that may dislike or may attack new pets intoduced into the home. Phew. Sorry it's so long.

So, I can buy these and mix them myself? I didn't realise, very new to this stuff. I noticed one rescue remedy is to comfort and reassure and another is for helping to relax and sleep. if I buy one of these types, which one do I buy? Sorry to be so ignorant. I have never even read about this stuff. I'm afraid I'm a very unhealthy, chocaholic, alcoholic (red wine), and anything healthy is a foreign concept to me!! Must change, I;m almost 50 and would like a few more years yet!!! Who'd look after the schitzo viz?????? Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Monah,

No worries. Will give you a brief over view.

There are 38 Bach Flower Remedies. They are all single remedies, but there is one remedy called Rescue Remedy, which has 5 remedies already mixed - they are Star of Bethlehem, for shock; Rock Rose for terror and panic; Clematis for faintness;Impatiens for agitation; Cherry Plum for loss of self-control and hysteria. Rescue Remedy was formulated by Dr Bach to deal with the immediate effects of emergencies. People often use it for animals because of lot of their problems can be related to shock/terror etc. These 5 are also available as single remedies.

All the remedies, including Rescue Remedy, can be bought in the 30ml dropper bottles, which cost about $18 each. If someone was making up a treatment bottle they would put two drops of each remedy they wanted to use into a clean 30ml dropper bottle, and fill it up with still mineral water. This is why I suggested that it might be economical for you to buy the remedies yourself and mix them.

Three remedies is not too much. More than five are not usually recommended. But with animals, less is best. If you are giving a remedy which isn't appropriate you won't do any harm, but you won't really help either.

I'm not sure who is giving you advice, or what is on the list they gave you, but 2 easy tips to help you find out if they have any real knowledge of Bach Flower Remedies:

1. It's pronounced batch, not bark. The doctor who discovered the remedies was Dr Edward Bach, and he pronounced his name Batch. If the person giving you advice is saying Bark Flower Remedies they have only a very superficial knowledge and probably won't be of much help.

2. If they start talking about "prescribing" remedies for your dog back away, as they have misunderstood the whole philosophy of the remedies. A Bach Practitioner is interested in helping you to help yourself - they are not wanting you to assume the passive role of "patient".

A qualified Bach Practitioner will have the letters BFRP after their name. As far as I am aware, as of the beginning of June, there are only about 25 active BFRPs in Australia, and there is no-one in Australia who is entitled to list themselves as an animal practitioner, as that is a further qualification.

I am working towards Practitioner at the moment, with the aim of animal practitoner - but it all takes time. :mad You can PM me if you think I can help at all.

edit to add, I like red wine too :rofl:

Edited by monsterpup

Monsterpup - have PM'd you for some advice. Hope that's okay..

No problem, but like I said, I only have my first certificate - Animal Practitioner is still a dream. :mad

Just editing to mention that I'm offline for a couple of weeks (yay, holidays!!) so I'm not being rude and ignoring anyone pm'ing me about this :rofl:

Edited by monsterpup

:I've started trying the rescue remedy to see how we go. If I don't see a good change in a couple of weeks I'll then try more specific things, but it seems to have some of the stuff in it I've been advised to use. What are the aust bush flower ones?

monsterpup, I think the natro was going to do the mixing (prob cost me a bomb!!) but now you've given me advice, I feel confidant that I can do it how you said. THANKYOU. I'll be very interested to see how we go. A whole new area has opened up for me. So interesting. I can see how you can be so interested in this. Please keep working toward your dream (selfish reasons here!!!)No one has explained this to me, you have done this very well!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx