Chances Of Catching Parvo

I can't give you a percentage, but I have heard of vaccinated dogs catching parvo. I think the rationale with vaccinating is to try to limit the severity of the disease in puppies. It's an awful, awful disease. I've seen it kill a puppy in hours ;)

As I understand it -- and my understanding may be wrong -- a PROPERLY vaccinated dog is protected, full stop. However, pups that have been vaccinated at six weeks often do not develop immunity because the maternal antibodies attack the vaccine. The window between the first and second vaccinations is a dangerous time. And there are occasional cases where the second jab doesn't take either. One of my vets said that the first annual booster clinches in the protection.

The vaccinated dogs overall health will play a big part in its ability to fend off the disease. If the dogs immune system is frail or even compromised there is a very high chance parvo will take hold no matter how many vaccinations the dog has had in its lifetime. Same with puppies, if for some reason the vaccinations are compromised the pup will be vulnerable.

I don't think anyone can say that all vaccinated dogs are 100% safe.

It can happen. A puppy from the same parents as my puppy came from caught parvo at one and died (he was fully parvo vaccinated).

You can also also get weaker strains of parvo, which my puppy had.

For any vaccine to be effective, it must cause the person/animal recipient to produce antibodies or seroconvert. In humans either vaccination or exposure with produce antibodies that can be found in a blood test (not done in dogs as far as I know). So although most people/animals would produce antibodies after a vaccine, there is no guarantee. I know someone who had all 3 HepB vaccinations and never produced any antibodies.