Schnauzer Bad Skin

Hi, I have a problem with my black mini schnauzer, she has a bad skin problem, usually in summer but its still with us at the moment. she is red and itchy all the time smells, and gets like a dandruff problem, lots of visits to vet, with medication given but am looking for a more natural releif, as this seems like the problems will always be with us. any ideas???? :kissbetter:

Give Groomers Shampoo with pure Evening primrose oil a go. Does amazing things for dogs with itchy scratchy skin.

www.groomersproducts.com.au

You can contact Lynda and ask her as well she originally brought it in due to allergies with one of her poodles.

I have seen it work with really lovely results.

Give Groomers Shampoo with pure Evening primrose oil a go. Does amazing things for dogs with itchy scratchy skin.

www.groomersproducts.com.au

You can contact Lynda and ask her as well she originally brought it in due to allergies with one of her poodles.

I have seen it work with really lovely results.

I use maleseb at the moment

Hi, she gets cooked rice pasta and mixed veggies plus rw chicken necks

I agree that "Groomers" is an amazing shampoo, I would try it for sure.

Omega 3 oils zinc, Vit E,in her food, and I would cut out ALL rice & pasta from her diet, it is most likely to be the cause!

Agree with the fish oils/ Omege 3. You can use the human type fish oil, in smaller doses. Some also suggest Flaxseed oil added to food (can get in a bottle, instead of capsules). Don't give too much oil, though :( .

I'm not sure about the rice and pasta causing the problems? But they're not great dog foods as they don't provide much nutrition. Dogs are basically carnivores and need more meat than carbohydrates in their diet.

Don't write off the vet prescribed medication entirely. It can clear up a "flare up" of the problem, then the natural remedies can be used more effectively for prevention.

Lots of itchy skin threads.. Do a quick search for other ideas...

Others have said the Malaseb can cause irritation when used over time. T-Gel was suggested by someone- human shampoo for itchy skin from supermarket/ chemist.

ETA: Other obvious things to help are:

* When bathing: Make sure you rinse, rinse. Then when you think all shampoo's out, rinse again.

* Brush dog's fur right down to the skin- part fur with your hand, then brush away from your hand. Many people don't do this. My MIL was spending a fortune on shampoos etc. on her itchy dog but not brushing her dog properly. I use a slicker brush for this, but not sure what's best for a schnauzer?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

As a schnauzer breeder her diet is totally unsuitable for the breed.

How old is she & what diet did the breeder suggest??Have you contacted the breeder for suggestions aswell??

Rice & pasta are the worse things to feed a dog with skin issues & im amazed the vet hadnt addressed the diet area.

Schnauzers need a good diet high in essiental fatty acids,her diet at present doesnt give her any qualities at all nor truley being a good stable diet even if she didnt have issues.

what biscuits do you feed,what treats does she get,how often is she clipped,do you have any plants in your garden that are toxic to dogs??

Does she have a good coat or is it harsh with very little under coat??

We bath all our mini in Heads n Shoulders(human ) any clients whose dogs have issues we also bath there minis in this & found it to be a great product on schnauzers.

It sounds like she is over heating aswell.Does she wear a dog jacket alot??

I would also presume that her underbelly is very dry & scaly looikng plus being very itchy??

I suggest the first thing you buy is Flaxseed powder supplement for dogs(Melrose omega pet)

Add fish to her diet for bad skin issues we suggest Kangaroo meat in small portions

I will also add there are some breeders that do have major skin issues in there lines In WA we can pick the lines of many of the older dogs who have skin issues

Edited by showdog

I agree - lose the cereals.. wheat is about THE most common dog allergen.

No flaxseed oil or powdereither.. it's made from a cereal so no good for dogs with cereal allergies. Use fish oil and feed a raw egg (Omega enhanced if you like) once or twice a week.

Edited by poodlefan

As a schnauzer breeder her diet is totally unsuitable for the breed.

How old is she & what diet did the breeder suggest??Have you contacted the breeder for suggestions aswell??

Rice & pasta are the worse things to feed a dog with skin issues & im amazed the vet hadnt addressed the diet area.

Schnauzers need a good diet high in essiental fatty acids,her diet at present doesnt give her any qualities at all nor truley being a good stable diet even if she didnt have issues.

what biscuits do you feed,what treats does she get,how often is she clipped,do you have any plants in your garden that are toxic to dogs??

Does she have a good coat or is it harsh with very little under coat??

We bath all our mini in Heads n Shoulders(human ) any clients whose dogs have issues we also bath there minis in this & found it to be a great product on schnauzers.

It sounds like she is over heating aswell.Does she wear a dog jacket alot??

I would also presume that her underbelly is very dry & scaly looikng plus being very itchy??

I suggest the first thing you buy is Flaxseed powder supplement for dogs(Melrose omega pet)

Add fish to her diet for bad skin issues we suggest Kangaroo meat in small portions

I will also add there are some breeders that do have major skin issues in there lines In WA we can pick the lines of many of the older dogs who have skin issues

Wow thats a lot to absorb, she is 4 and basically has had problems since first summer, rang breeder who answer was that none of her other dogs have had skin problems....we have tried kangaroo meat before but it seems to really heat up her body,

Her coat is very soft not at all like our standard, . I don't think we have any toxic plants to dog, we planted it all from scratch, and its all manly tropical plants.

So what biscuits do you suggest for meals I use optium but she only get a very small hndful just for crunch, we have never like to give our dogs to much dry food, have heard its not good for there kidneys. Are the chicken necks no good also? Her treats are plain dog bicuits no colour or flavour from produce shop like the ol 4 x 2 which use to feed our bigger dog.

When I bath her I put alpha keri oil on her at the end..thanks

Agree with the fish oils/ Omege 3. You can use the human type fish oil, in smaller doses. Some also suggest Flaxseed oil added to food (can get in a bottle, instead of capsules). Don't give too much oil, though :laugh: .

I'm not sure about the rice and pasta causing the problems? But they're not great dog foods as they don't provide much nutrition. Dogs are basically carnivores and need more meat than carbohydrates in their diet.

Don't write off the vet prescribed medication entirely. It can clear up a "flare up" of the problem, then the natural remedies can be used more effectively for prevention.

Lots of itchy skin threads.. Do a quick search for other ideas...

Others have said the Malaseb can cause irritation when used over time. T-Gel was suggested by someone- human shampoo for itchy skin from supermarket/ chemist.

ETA: Other obvious things to help are:

* When bathing: Make sure you rinse, rinse. Then when you think all shampoo's out, rinse again.

* Brush dog's fur right down to the skin- part fur with your hand, then brush away from your hand. Many people don't do this. My MIL was spending a fortune on shampoos etc. on her itchy dog but not brushing her dog properly. I use a slicker brush for this, but not sure what's best for a schnauzer?

Hi thanks for tips, sorry but am new to all this forum stuff, where or how do I search thread????

So should i be giving her sardines and things like that instead of chicken necks.