Asprin?

Is it safe to give dogs Asprin :(

I just came back from the Chiro - who told me to give Leo Asprin as his leg is slightly inflamed.... but I was always told never to give your dog Asprin.....

Is someone able to clear this up for me?

Also - if I can't give asprin - what is a good thing to give a dog for an anti-inflamm?!

Hi Leopuppy

yes dogs can be given Aspirin

They can not be given Paracetemol or panadol though.

I cant off hand remember what dosage I was advised by my vet to use.

Thanks Wylie - that must be what I got confused with! I'll see if the asprin has a 'recommended dose' by weight - hopefully that will give me an indication. Chiro told me 1 tab morning n nite for 7days....

Sorry can't help but :mad for Leo

Do you think it's traning injury? How often do you see a chiro?

seems to be around every 2-6mths. Shorter if it is a recurring injury.

The chiro thinks it was just caused by being an idiot and hooning around too much! I think I can agree with that! He had popped his wrist out of joint! Silly dog!

ETA: - Leo said thanks for the hugs - Kinta says - What about me :(

Edited by leopuppy04

I wouldn't give a dog any medication that hadn't been prescribed by a vet (or at the very least checked by a vet).

Even if aspirin is ok for dogs in general (which I don't know about), your dog might have other conditions (eg. gastrointestinal, or bleeding problems) that make aspirin a bad choice. Those kind of decisions are better made by a vet that knows your dog rather than a chiro.

I found on a US website dosage: 10mg/lb- http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/daspirin.html

You can buy 100mg tablets of aspirin (e.g. DBL aspirin) as well as the usual 325mg. Be careful when talking tablets- too much confusion possible!

Aspirin can irritate the lining of the stomach, so is best given with food. I'm not sure about an active dog on aspirin. Aspirin is also a blood-thinner :(. If I take it, I bruise very easily (not sure if it does same to dogs).

I found on a US website dosage: 10mg/lb- http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/daspirin.html

You can buy 100mg tablets of aspirin (e.g. DBL aspirin) as well as the usual 325mg. Be careful when talking tablets- too much confusion possible!

Aspirin can irritate the lining of the stomach, so is best given with food. I'm not sure about an active dog on aspirin. Aspirin is also a blood-thinner :(. If I take it, I bruise very easily (not sure if it does same to dogs).

Thanks PW - how many kg's per lb? Leo is 23-24kg. I will be keeping an eye on him and keeping him pretty quiet for the next few days. I'll then take him off the asprin and give him fish oil instead - I hear this is a natural anti inflamm also.

Thank you everyone for your help :mad

ETA: just did the conversion - approx 2lb per kg..... so that would make Leo close to 50lb.....

They are 100mg tabs so i'll give him 1/2 a tab :mad

Edited by leopuppy04

If you're going to use aspirin, make sure you check to see whether the particular tablet you have should be taken with food.

It would probably still be worth ringing a vet if you haven't already. They might be happy to give you advice over the phone.

I hope Leo feels better soon :)

One of the vets I use regularly recommends asparin for aches and pains . . . she thinks rimdyl is better . . . but if you don't have any on hand asparin will do. However, long term use of asparin may cause stomach ulcers.

Hi,

Just thought I would warn you...Rimdyl....... has caused more trouble in dogs

than enough. I have been told that some people in the USA are trying to have

it removed from veterinary services. I am constantly reading of warnings about NOT

using this product on overseas lists. I did have some sites to go to back up what

has been said about Rimdyl, but as usual I don't remember where I put them.

Please everyone do be careful over this product.

edited because I carn't spell

Edited by oakway

Leopuppy- I was always told never to give birds asprin. But that's because they are unable to (for lack of a better word) fart- which they must, as the asprin causes gases in the tummy which (in the bird's case) expands to the point where it's either fart or explode.

Seeing as dogs can fart and all, the only other problem would be if your dog has any other conditions that the asprin would aggrivate. I would personally make a call to the vet at the very least, just to put your mind at rest.

Kirsty

Hi,

Just thought I would warn you...Rimdyl....... has caused more trouble in dogs

than enough. I have been told that some people in the USA are trying to have

it removed from veterinary services. I am constantly reading of warnings about NOT

using this product on overseas lists. I did have some sites to go to back up what

has been said about Rimdyl, but as usual I don't remember where I put them.

Please everyone do be careful over this product.

edited because I carn't spell

A very small percentage of dogs can't tolerate Rimadyl but most are ok with it. Every dog I've ever had has been fine with Rimadyl. It's an excellent pain reliever and anti inflammatory. It should always be given with food. Any dog who does have a reaction to the drug will have symptoms fairly quickly and if so the best thing to do is phone a vet for advice on what action you should take.

I have my vet do a basic blood test on my dogs anyway as a benchmark for the future and if the dog has no liver/kidney problems then they are probably ok with Rimadyl.

Thanks everyone for their advice.

I thought i'll go the 'natural' way instead and Leo is now on fish oil - I can see it helping already, but not sure if it is a good thing or not as he thinks that since he is feeling better, he *can* chase Kinta around the yard all day and 'kangaroo box' :) - For the vets, chiros etc that ask us to keep dogs quiet - it's harder than it seems :eek:!