Doggy Dandruff...

Is there such a thing as doggy dandruff? My foster has white flaky bits in his fur (around his lower neck area on his back ) and you can see that it's coming from his skin like human dandruff. I don't know much about skin problems, however it's not red or inflamed and he's not itching. I've never dealt with anything like this before - any suggestions on what I should do? Or am I best to leave it and see if it clears up itself?

Thanks

Well he has had a bath, but it was mostly around his feet, his rear and his back - didn't really wash his neck. He's in to get his round bits removed next week - will give him a good wash after that. Or if shampoo causes it - maybe I won't :thumbsup:

aaw - just been to rescue pages to see your foster, beautiful.

It could be that you didn`t get all the shampoo out from the bath.

Outside of that I am out of ideas.

Good luck with the snip and getting him to be quiet for a few days.

Thanks Lowchenlove, I thought of that, but he had a bath about 12hrs before I noticed the dandruff - I would have thought the dandruff would have to have started earlier than this (does it get fairly full-on that quickly?) Unfortunately I'm at work from tomorrow so I won't be able to wash him in the sunshine until the weekend. I did try to make sure I rinsed everything off - I might just give him a cloth wipe over tomorrow and towell dry him off and see if that makes a difference.

TSD - off the top of my head dunno, but I do know it's one of those organic / greenie / gentle stuff sort of shampoos - it's certainly not your average supermarket variety - maybe that's where I've gone wrong :thumbsup:

Adolescent shar pei often get dandruffy. More so if they are a little nervous/stressed, eg at a dog show, or new environment. This would certainly apply to a rescue. I have used anti-dandruff shampoo and conditioner (Head & Shoulders/Selsun Blue) with success.

I have had this problem with my black labs at times, especially after their bath and unfortunately just before a show. Someone told me to put a bit of vinegar in the rinse water and pour that over him and it helps with the dandruff. I actually haven't tried it yet, but am going to give it a go next wash!

Dandruff is dead skin which, if it is excessive, means that the health of the skin is not optimum.

If the dog is recently fostered it may be you are just seeing the results of his previous living and eating conditions.

The cause can be as basic as using the wrong shampoo or it can, and usually is, the result of a diet that is not providing any or sufficient amounts of Omega 3,6 & 9, especially diets that don't get the balance of these essential oils in the right proportion.

There are many brands of Omega oils available for dogs and they do work, especially when used in conjunction with a raw all natural diet - not highly processed dry dog foods which contain ingredients from unknown origins, regardless of how good their manufacturers say they are!

Madwoofter these boys didn't come in the best of condition and you didn't cause it by washing him. Try adding some natural oil (like fish oil) to his meals. The easiest thing would be to slip a few sardines into his meal. If you do a search you will find loads of other threads with more suggestions to help his skin condition by replacing the balance of oils.

Hope he is behaving (I'm sure he is) and don't think it will take too long before you are updating the rescue pages with good news :)