Treats For Training

Just interested in what treats you use for training your dogs. I've been dehydrating and chopping liver, chopping cheese and chicken, and hot dogs, and I'm finding I'm spending more time fiddling and chopping for my dogs than I do fiddling and chopping for my human kids :rolleyes: Which is all fine, but are there any yummy and affordable premade treats that you've found to be okay? I don't like the really dried liver because I prefer squishy treats. I found some Sniffers at a dog show last weekend and they smell fantastic and can be chopped up in quarters to get a good sized treat for a pup, but they're very pricey. I read about ziwipeak treats, are they good?

Cheers

Audrey

The best treat to use will be chosen by your dog. It will not always be the most convenient one to handle or carry. My dog reacts to chopped cabana or chopped fresh meat. It is messy to train with for me, but my dog will give the best reaction with it. Some react better with fruit!

Dried liver can be a bit chewy, a trait you do not want while training. Treats need to be moist and almost inhalable, so that the dog can keep concentration.

Yep, whatever my dog will work for, no matter how messy or how much chopping :rolleyes:

Mine loses interest in any premade treats very very quickly.

I use hot dogs, roast chicken, steak, chicken loaf etc.

He did however, quite like some I got as a sample one day. I cant remember the name, but they came in a purple packet and had to be kept in the fridge if anyone knows. These were squishy and could be chopped in half.

I will try and find the name and let you know.

Guest Clover
He did however, quite like some I got as a sample one day. I cant remember the name, but they came in a purple packet and had to be kept in the fridge if anyone knows. These were squishy and could be chopped in half.

I will try and find the name and let you know.

I think they were a VIP treat, i cannot remember what they were called though. My supermarket does not stock them anymore :rolleyes:.

My guys love Cabana, hotdog, cheese, dried liver and those little chewy natures gift treats.

My little Josie likes devon,natures gift,the ones you keep in the fridge,liver treats.Also I find she absolutely goes bananas over any sort of chicken!!!!Must get some for this weeks training session.

Sometimes I find she gets bored so I try and mix it up.

We were using dry treats and had limited success, and we tried to look for low fat type stuff because our dogs have a tendency to be big gutses when it comes to food :rolleyes: I try to save what we've got left over from roasts (chicken, lamb etc) and they go nuts for that. We try to put a little variation in their treat bag for training, so on any given day we might have a few bits of twiggy sticks (one for you, two for me! :rofl: ), cheese, some chopped up bits of roast chook from the night before etc etc. The thing they go absolutely nuts for is fresh mushrooms (I kid you not), so I always pop a few slices of mushies in there for them - I get the pre-sliced ones from woollies because I'm too lazy to do it myself ;)

I use a ball for a reward much of the time but when using food treats, I tend to use devon or cabanossi.

I think the treats in the purple bag were 4Legs ones? I haven't seen them for a while.

Those Chunkers that you buy in the cold dog food section go down well with my dogs.

I used to use the moist Nature's Gift 'treats' and little bits of Liver Treat or just lots of rubs and cuddles (Diesel has a tendency to pile on the weight with too many treats!).

Mushrooms shouldn't be fed to dogs - they are toxic (some varieties more than others).

Both of mine will work for anything, so at home I use just about anything including frozen green beans. :rolleyes: With mine it seems to be the treat is just the fact I hand it to them for a job well done.

At dog club Leah gets cooked chicken breast and some treats I got at the supermarket, semi moist in the shape of a heart.

Bob gets Glad Wags Lamb which they no longer make but I have a stack of packets of them in the cupboard. :rofl: I like the Glad Wags as they are a solft strip which I can break bits off easily, no greasy hands and they obviously smell great, all the dogs like my bumbag.

I usually use some sort of meat roll, windsor or devon, it's available in the cold section of the supermarket, the cheapo own brand version is about $2 for a KG roll, so it's very economical. Also sometimes cheese (but at almost $10/kg it works out alot more expensive :rofl: ) or left over chopped cold meat etc.

Luckily Jarrah will work for almost anything (havent tried mushrooms though :rolleyes: ), but Jonty used to be the fussiest little bugger, he would even turn his nose up at chopped roast chicken :) . We found he quite liked dried liver but luckily he is over his fussy stage now & is happy to gobble anything down just like Jarrah. As dogdude said, you want something soft so the dog doesnt have to chew & you'll find the best treat is the one your dog works best for :rofl: .

As for the ziwipeak treats, the dogs did like them but they are shockingly expensive :):rofl: & at almost 30% fat you have to be careful to monitor how much they get. I got some at a trial, if I got some more given to me I would use them again, but I wouldnt pay for them :eek: .

I currently use the JerHigh treats. They say that they are made with real chicken. They are in thin strips and are soft so easy to chop up small.

I have used cabana chopped up but i dont like all the fat and spices.

Sometimes i will buy a small pack of kitten bikkies. They are tiny and the dogs love them.

I generally make up a mixed jar and grab a handful when needed. It curently has in it dried liver, cat biscuits and JerHigh all chopped into tiny pieces. Luckily my dogs are all very food motivated so i can get by with just using dry treats.

With my dogs i use kabana, cheese, chicken loaf, roast chicken, 4legs and the Natures Gift strip things.

When doing flyball comps i nearly always use dim sims. Nova does back flips for them so i save them for special occasions :rofl:

On one occasion i ran out of treats and resorted to using grass :rolleyes: He still worked very well for it and ate it, suppose whatever i have must be edible!

Edited by tollersowned

I

usually use some sort of meat roll, windsor or devon, it's available in the cold section of the supermarket, the cheapo own brand version is about $2 for a KG roll, so it's very economical.

MrsD, yep you can't go wrong with the $2 Devon roll....dogs love it, it is easy and there's plenty of it for the price :rolleyes:

At home - kibble. We go through quite a lot of food while teaching so I want it to be reasonably nutritious food for him. He doesn't get this in his regular diet, so thinks it is a treat. I throw it for him to chase instead of give it, so it's even more exciting for him. Plus I make him work for his dinner too!

At obedience school - bits of sausage or mice, and a toy.

ETA: I mean MINCE, not mice! :rolleyes:

Edited by Amhailte

ETA: I mean MINCE, not mice!

Bugger, was about to report you to Hughley Wirthless!! :) :rolleyes:

Edited coz I can't spell!

Well, I'm sure my predatory little stafford would be even more focused if I could reward him with live mice. But not sure what they would say down at the obedience school! :rofl:

I throw it for him to chase instead of give it, so it's even more exciting for him. Plus I make him work for his dinner too!

On that note - wondering if the dogs than perceives the reward as being far from the owner, therefore not "sticking" with the owner? Somewhat as throwing the reward away.

Thoughts??

I use mosly frankfurts, and cooked liver for the showring. My dogs will give the rest of their tail for the liver, and I havent yet met a dog that doesnt like it.

I seem to be always choppings stuff into smal squares, does anyone have some kind of a food processor that will do nice little squares? :rolleyes: