Is Desexing A Bitch In Season Safe?

I would not have my bitch desexed when she is in season. Having worked as a vet nurse for 10 years, thats the advice we used to give. The op becomes longer for the bitch, the uterus is enlarged & more friable. She can therefore suffer shock as the organ being removed is a lot larger!

It costs more as well!

Edited by Poodle Mum

I would not have my bitch desexed when she is in season. Having worked as a vet nurse for 10 years, thats the advice we used to give. The op becomes longer for the bitch, the uterus is enlarged & more friable. She can therefore suffer shock as the organ being removed is a lot larger!

It costs more as well!

Thanks.

Theres a place around here that is trying to get ppl to desex their dogs and cats and for any size it will only cost $10.00 the catch is its for one day only. Waaayyyy cheap though. A lady at my work told me about it but has a bitch that has been in seaon for a few weeks and wanted to know if it would be safe. So it got me thinking if it was safe or not.

I would not have a bitch in season desexed. My understanding is that not only is the uterus larger but also the blood supply is greater and the risk of a bleed is heightened. Also I think hormonally it is best to let the bitch finish her season, give her time for the hormones to settled back to normal and then desex her. I personally think the risk is too high, even though the price might be great!

Running a rescue group we have desexed bitches in season and none had any problems...

So its not life threathing?

Whats the worst thing that could happen? I know you run a small risk in your dog dying even if its not in season but is the risk high with a one in season?

Yes it is higher, and the aftercare needs to be more confined, as where to uterus has been removed and tied off with sutures is more enlarged. A bitch that is allowed to jump & play in aftercare may shift some off this internal sutures!

Too high a risk for me!

If given the choice I would wait about a month after the season to have the bitch desexed, for the reasons people have mentioned above. Desexing, like any major operation, is life threatening. Desexing during a season is even more so.

$10 desexing for one day only sounds cheap, but would make me wonder about the standard of the work.

Have they got some sort of assembly line going on?

If given the choice I would wait about a month after the season to have the bitch desexed, for the reasons people have mentioned above. Desexing, like any major operation, is life threatening. Desexing during a season is even more so.

$10 desexing for one day only sounds cheap, but would make me wonder about the standard of the work.

Have they got some sort of assembly line going on?

Its really only for resure ppl actully not the whole public but the ladys friend does recure and told her she could add her pup to her list. :thumbsup: not a busy day at work we talked for awhile.

I think they had to reserve and give a list of names so they could make a cut off

I had one of my foster girl's desexed when she was coming into season (I didn't know she was and neither did the vet until he opened her up). She almost died on the table as they couldn't stop the bleeding. As a PP said, when in season the uterus is swollen and has a lot more blood pumping through it. Thankfully she was OK and the vets were very experienced, but she was quite weak for a few days afterwards and I would say she definitely took longer to recover than other dogs I have had done.

Also, I doubt that the $10 rate would cover a bitch in season. The vets that will spey a dog in season often charge a lot more because it is more complicated surgery.

Used to be able to get cats speyed/castrated (by a vet) for $10 each - as part of a desexing program run by a vet and an animal welfare society.

Edited by Jed

My sister in law had a cross bred dog (cant remember if it was here or in UK :thumbsup: ) she was desexed in season and didnt make it off the operating table :rofl: This was approx 15 yrs ago, I THINK it may have been here in Australia. The risks were known to be larger uterus, more bleeding, bigger risk of blood loss, shock etc. I'm not sure if death was actually named as a risk though?? I dont think she would have gone ahead with it had that been the case? There was a reason why she went ahead with it but I cant remember. Maybe the dog was pregnant too??? I'm waffling now coz I really cant remember too much other than it was yrs and yrs ago, and the poor girl died. SIL was distraught. As Im sure you can imagine, she was very anxious yrs later when her boxers (male and female) went in for desexing.

I'm sure the risks are more highlighted nowadays?

Edited by joelle

All the foster carers that I knew in Canberra, that have experience with speying a bitch in season, had NO problems. But their vets are very knowledgeable, do a lot of rescue vet-work so are aware of the need for speying even if the bitch is in season, and take their time to perform a quality surgical procedure. It's a slightly higher than usual risk (and let's face it, any anaesthesia is a risk on its own, then the surgical procedure carries its own set of risks) but with the numbers some vets do these days, it's what is considered a 'manageable' risk.

I'd be very concerned about 'cheap' operations unless it's through a reputable vet clinic with adequately experienced senior vets. :thumbsup: