Phantom Pregnancy

Ive just read the posts i could find previously on phantom pregnancies, but was unable to find the info i was after.

My RR bitch had her first heat in May, so its about 11-12 weeks since. She had huge teats, which have not reduced in size and a couple are now producing a small amout of milk.

I am wondering how common this is in dogs, is there a reason for concern and if there is or should be any veterinary treatment?

Its not worrying me too much as she seems fine in herself and hasnt started nesting or any other strange behaviour.

Any one out there with some first hand experience? :D

RG

Its common & some bitches it can be really bad.One bitch that i handled suffered so badly we ended up mating her earlier than planned to hopefully reduce the prob.It did help but she was retired earlier than planned from showing as it affected her coat each time etc etc.

Some get over it quickly with minimal signs

This is my bitch about 8 weeks after her last season (not mated). They were completely back to normal a few weeks after this shot..

Don't squeeze her nipples or you will encourage milk production.

Picture074.jpg

Very common.......the canine hormones are strange. When a bitch has a season, regardless of whether she is mated or not, her body will think she is pregnant!!!

Some will have puppies ( only if mated of course!!) & all the others will have a false pregnancy, just varying degree & symptoms......weird isn't it :D

My girls will always get sooky & carry around a "toy baby" ......at the moment its a plastic goofy dog!!

I never give them any drugs to get rid of symptoms, nature takes its own course.

Sadly though I live in fear of pyos ( have already had 2 bitches that needed surgery) & my girl is going to be speyed.