German Shepherd Ears

cpudds

Hi

I have 2 GS's.

One male one female, 12 weeks old.

We have noticed that the males (Max) ears are a bit smelly, smells like cheesey socks!!!

And they seemed abit mucky, so we have cleaned the dirt out but are still abit smelly.

The females (Molly) ears are OK.

The have both been together since we first got them at 8 weeks old, so not sure why one can have dirty/smelly ears and not the other.

Any ideas? Any suggestions for cleaning?

Thanks

Best to treat it asap, so head off to the vets. If it's bad, a prescription ear drop will fix it properly. Friend of mine had a GSD who had chronic ear problems. One vet even suggested removing the ear drum, it was that chronic (he didn't).

Malaseb (an antibacterial, antifungal shampoo) can be used as an ear cleaner, diluted 50:1 with water.

Sometimes, you need to use a cleaner, then a prescription antibiotic/antifungal drops from the vet.

Why does one have it and not the other? Bit like one person getting sick, while another stays well in the same environment.

Yeasty smelling gooey ears normally ear infection.

I would definately make a trip to the vets and they should prescrobe some ear drops :laugh:

He had his 12 week injection over the weekend, the vet checked him over and said "got some of the garden in ears" and advised to clean them.

Thats all. When we tried to clean them, thats when we noticed the smell, there doesn't seem to be anything in the ears just black muck, and last night he was rubbing his ears a few times.

His ears haven't yet "stood up" maybe thats the reason.

Thanks

quote name='Heidley' date='2nd Aug 2007 - 09:02 AM' post='1930346']

How's the pup going cpudds?

Hi Heidley

The pup is fine, ears still slightly smelly but not as bad. Cleaned with a cotton bud to get into the creases but not into the cavity. So will just keep cleaning and will mention to the vet at puppy school on Monday.

post-17241-1186034339_thumb.jpg

post-17241-1186034350_thumb.jpg

all sounds like what our boxer is going through...good old yeast infection...

use a earcleaning solution for the ears. Vet can advise you on best on. Basically squirt a bit in the ear cannal, massage it around a bit. In 10 minutes or so it does magic. Basically solution helps dissolve all the ear wax and the dog shakes it out. We had to do that followed by antibiotics specific for yeast ear infections in dogs. Best of all the antibiotics and solution last for quite a bit (in right conditions), vet told us next time we have that problems just to do the routine again.

Here's a few tips to avoid or help clear up yeast infections

*cut out grains and cereals from the diet (partially for when the dogs are fine, fully when ears infected)

*add apple cider vinegar to the food, water (the cloudy organic type from health food or pet stores not supermarket)

*keep the ears dry, use ear cleaning solution once a week to stop wax build up

Puppy ears always get black and dirty :S Even worse if they dig holes...

I clean Hooches ears when he is very tired and not moving around. I too use cotton tips to get into the hard to clean areas and baby wipes :laugh:

Please post some more pics of your beautiful puppies in the GSD thread :p

Dogs & pups ears should be cleaned regularly. I usually use metho diluted with some warm water & cotton balls & buds. If your pup has smelly ears don't delay a trip to the vet who will probably supply you with Canaural. We have one GSD who has a recurring ear problem. If you use Frontline, a drop in each ear when using it on the dog can help in the fight against mites.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I've spent thousands of Dollars at the vet trying to cure a never ending ear infection with a dog I adopted. Got the antibiotic shots, pills and expensive otic prescriptions that would only make it better. I found an over the counter natural otic solution that has worked wonders for me. It's called Zymox with hydrocortisone. Spike has never had an ear infection since we started using zymox. Amazing stuff!

It only cost about $15 USD a bottle and goes a long way. I was spending over $350 for office visits, shots, antibiotics, and otic solutions every time I went to the vet. Try it, and you and your pup will be much happier.

Greetings from Texas.

http://surrealbulldogs.com