Best Collar?

I use a flat collar with our 25kg, 7 month-old standard poodle, and I'm about to buy another collar as he's outgrown the "spare".

Will it be easier to stop him pulling with a martingale? I mean to bring him to a stop, so we can start over, walking on loose leash? Or, if he lunges forward unexpectedly, that I can stop him more easily as opposed to being pulled over. I understand training is what's required, but this is to be an aid to me while we're learning.

I also want to avoid hurting him. I'm not sure that a flat collar is better if I need to apply force for longer to bring him to a stop.

I used a check chain when first training our older small dog because that's what was used in the class, but never as a choking/ yanking device. An 8kg dog pulling while he's learning is not so hard on the arms :laugh: .

I know training is the only answer to stop him pulling and we're doing this with a local club, but I'm thinking of safety, and my arm muscles, in the meantime.

Thanks for any advice :thumbsup:

I would suggest a martingale.

They give the correction angle, but only when needed and not as harsh as a check chain, with the added bonus of not being able to slip them.

- i realise that correctly used check chains are not "harsh" as such and can be a very useful training tool, I just use martingales as I have greyhounds and have found them to be great

I've seen martingales that are all-nylon,

Some of the all-nylon collars I've seen are weird. They pull tight like a martingale, but then don't loosen off automatically like the chain would do. Guess these are not really martingales. They seem a little odd to me - what's the point if you have to slacken them off manually?

I have soft suede and webbing ones for my guys, they loosen fine, they are wide collars with solid hardware.

I also use one that has a chain for obedience as it distinguishes for her that we are "working" not just out and about given that they reccomend you use a check or martinagale for training and a flat collar at other times - she has a martinagale at ALL times so makes it clearer for her with the noise of the chain.

I used on Sway

flat collar

martingale

Check chain

Now a Halti, halti works and she is re-learning.

Once we have it down packed, he will go backward to find a more suitable long term collar.

I have a nylon martingale with the chain section - I'm really happy with it and will stick with it. I got it from K9 Force :rofl:

When I first got it I had it adjusted quite snug so the chain would click in easily. Darcy was a bit of a puller as a youngster.

These days I have it adjusted quite loose, so that when the chain is at its tightest its only just tighter than a normal flat collar. Darcy is quite responsive to the sound of the chain clicking in and that sound is all the reminder she needs that that the lead is a touch tighter than I'd like it to be ;)

The fully nylon ones seem to be only of benefit if you have a dog that can slip its collar or for greys/whippets that are difficult to fit a normal collar to. I reckon they'd be no better than a flat collar on a dog that pulls.