Bones

cpudds

We give our 10 week old puppy bones, The vet said it's ok as long as it's a propper marrow bone. She loves it and it's a great distraction when we go to work - plus is blunts those nasty little puppy teeth!!

My small breed puppy has been getting raw chicken necks and raw chicken wings for lunch ever since she was about 7 weeks old. She is now 10 weeks.

The soft chewable bones are best for teeth cleaning and gum excercise IMO.

Just have to be sure that puppy can't or doesn't swallow them, you may need to teac your pup how to chew on them.

Big marrow bones are good for keeping a dog occupied, but they arent of much nutrional value. They are very fatty and have little to no meat on them, plus dogs cant eat the bone bit which is a great food for them :cry:

I personally would be feeding chicken wings and necks. As already said watch them eat in case they are just swallowing them whole. If they are, i would just upgrade to a chicken frame and let him munch on that!

Pups can be fed bones as soon as they start eating :p

I startrd giving my pup raw chicken wings at 8 weeks.

When he got older (12wks plus) i gave him some lamb bones - the rib ones i think they're called brisket bones?

I always make sure that I'm there just incase he chokes. No problems so far. He's 6 months old now ;)

I feed a raw, whole foods diet and NEVER give marrow bones ever. They're just bone with a bit of meat, lots of fat and no real nutritional value IMO.

Better if you were to go for bones that have a higher meat to bone ratio (that is more meat than bone), such as lamb pieces (necks, flaps), beef (brisket, ribs with muscle on), chicken (necks, carcasses/frames, wings), and intersperse with roo (tail, neck), turkey (necks, wings) and rabbit if you can find it.

Pups can begin eating bones as soon as they can eat solid foods. ;)

I agree.. use the bones which your pup can eat.If you give marrow bones...make sure they are cut in half across the bone, not lengthwise to expose the marrow.This is too fatty in one hit, and can cause tummy upsets.

any pups we have get weaned onto bones ;) when around 4 weeks old, they get roo tails or mutton bones with lots of meat on.pulling the meat off..first by sucking, then learning to chew is great for them!Then they get their dry puppy food as well.