Chubby Puppy!

TNT

Hi all-

Hoping someone out there knows how much an australian cattle dog should weigh?

When I first got my 9 month old pup I was told she should be about 20kg fully grown.- pedigree website indicates about 23kg.- Some more dog orientated websites indicate that 14-18 kg would be more appropriate...

Thats not my main problem-

I know my pup is overweight- but was told by the vet today not to worry about it too much- to just increase the exercise until she's 12 months old- then deal with it as her bones are still growing....

Is this right? should I reduce her feed to suit a 15kg goal weigh instead?

so annoyed because I was originally told the wrong weight to aim for- or so it seems?

Just decrease the meals by a small amount until she gets to the correct weight (can't say how many kg as this will depend on the build, height, bone your dog has). Rather then aim for a particular weight, go for a healthy body shape.

I don't agree with what you say the vet said.

You can safely halve your dog's current food until he is a normal weight. Foods like mashed pumpkin can help him feel fuller without making him fat.

Lean dogs have fewer bone problems as pups and adults, so I'm not sure why the vet would say to leave it and exercise more instead :cry: . Most breeders suggest NOT to overexercise pups with growing bones. They believe it's associated with hip problems (many factors, though). You can increase the exercise after about 12 months, depending on breed (not sure for an ACD- when they've stopped growing).

Right advice from becks- look at your dog. Ignore whatever the packet says if you feed dry food- you need to reduce the food if he appears overweight.

Look side-on: Does he have a "waist"- narrowing before hips? He should.

Put your hands flat at his sides: Can you feel his ribs pressing only gently? Should. If he stretches out, you should be able to see his ribs. You shouldn't be able to see backbones or hip bones protruding (too skinny).

"so annoyed because I was originally told the wrong weight to aim for- or so it seems?"

Unfortunately people need to use there own commensense & if the dog looks fat it is fat so you adjust appropriately.

Ideal weight is what many breeds do have but it doesnt mean everydog will meet this its up to owners to look at there dog & feed it the right amount for it to be correct weight.

If you know your dog is over weight why would you keep feeding it up???You cant blame others if you notice a weight issue with your dog.

Decrease the portions & make sure if the dog is getting snacks or extras that the food portions are also adjusted for any treat.

Many people do feed the right amount as suggested by the brand but many people then give added treats which over do the balance.

Thanks for all the replies-

I havent been overfeeding her or giving too many treats- she gets nowhere near the reccomended now- she will actually stop eating and leave it if she is full- so being hungry really isnt an issue for her.

Im only new to medium sized-large dog breeds- so didnt really know what to look for. She does go in slightly, and her ribs can be felt- but not visible as she has a thick coat.

Thanks anyway...

Monique

I don't agree with the 15 kg weight range :party: , my dog an red ACD is 22kg at 16 months she was 21 kg and slightly overweight according to the vet

she isn't overweight now but has a lot of muscle and is a very active dog . She is taller then the recommended height , come to think of it some of the websites that state the height/weight etc seem way off .

Just make sure she doesn't have a flabby front chest ( sure sign of excess weight) has hips and when her coat is wet you an see where her ribs would be ( unless she has a really thick coat)

My ACD only has to look at food and gain weight ;) , we constantly watch her diet and it annoys me too that when you read the feeding instructions on dry/canned food that they must be giving measurements for elephants :party:

Hi Christina77,

Thanks so much for that info!- just found out that my new male pups father weighs in at 29kg- so the 15kg thing might be a bit off....makes it so much easier when you're talking about the same breed!