Antibark Ecollar

I think an ecollar each will be the go for my problem barker (mini poodle, 8kg) and his young apprentice (standard poodle, 25kg), together with behavioural e.g. exercise, stimulation, training, getting them used to being alone etc. Both are actually good dogs apart from the barking.

My main worry is the ecollar going off when they're NOT barking.

I noticed this often happenned with the mini poodle when I tried an ultrasonic collar on him.

Can anyone suggest ecollar brands that are less prone to this? Suitable for smaller dogs?

I've read it's more common in smaller dogs for this to happen :mad

We have two anti-bark collars, the Innotek one and the Dogtra one.

The Innotek one is easier to use - the collar is a clip type, so once you have set it to the right size all you do is clip it on each night. The Dogtra has a buckle and it is more difficult to fit consistently.

The Innotek one sets the level automatically, the Dogtra one is set by the user. Both have their advantages / disadvantages.

Neither of them seems to go off by themselves.

My GSD barked through the first three levels of the Dogtra, so they can't be that bad.

Maybe PM Steve from K9 for some advice/comment?

I have the innotek which I use on my GSP and it has been a god send! She has only ever barked through the first level. Now she understands what it means, she won't even bark through that. Is not afraid of it when I get her to sit while I put it on. Very pleased with it. However I have never used on a smaller dog like a mini poodle. I agree with Kamuzz speak to Steve at K9 and I would be interested on his opinion re using an e-collar on a smaller breed.

I have a petsafe one and found it very good...as long as it was in the right position - and stayed in the right position. It works on sound and vibration from memory - so growling in play/drinking etc wouldn't set it off, nor would other dogs barking etc.

Has anyone used an ecollar, then gone on to debark their dog (last resort)?

It's cheaper to go straight to debarking :laugh: , though I've no intention of doing so.

I'm here at the computer and Oscar the mini poodle has gone out to bark at our neighbour (of about 4 years) who's hanging out the washing. Not on! They're lovely neighbours and I asked if Charlie (standard poodle) was barking much- yes, he's started to when Oscar barks, whereas he wasn't before. He's now 8 months old :p .