Merlin - Wizard1's Constant Companion

alix15

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. I have only just got over all the 'firsts' that are distressing after a best mate dies. The first time I prepared dinner on Sunday night, and there was one bowl less and Merlin not there to bark at to me to hurry up; the first time I hand out Schmackos at the kitchen bench and Merlin is not lined up in his regular position along with the othes. The first night when he was no longer in his regular position beside my bed, and not there in the morning staring at me, waiting for me to get up.

All the 'firsts' and even the rest of the times make it hard to cope. I haven't been able to go to work for 2 days so tomorrow afternoon will be the 'first' time I arrive home and he is not at the garage door to greet me. He was truly my 'shadow' and even in my small house when he could see me move into another room, he had to get up and follow me. Last but not least, he was the Protector of all the foster dogs that have stayed with me over the years. Whenever Sarge got majorly pissed off with a newcomer, Merlin would warn him off very vocally. All the foster dogs (and my other 2 girls) knew that Merlin was the 'nice' one they could curl up with. I think my father, already surrounded by 6 Dobes over the Bridge, has already greeted Merlin and made him welcome.