Cod Liver Oil

sas

Our Doggy Chiro suggested giving our dogs 1 tea spoon of Cod Liver Oil every 3 days, he said it would especially be good for the puppy as it gets into their marrow and makes the bones stronger.

So before trying it, I contacted my breeder to make sure it's ok. She hasn't used it before but doesn't think it should be an issue.

Well today I'm a walking zombie, because overnight the dogs needed to go to the toilet 5 times each, that's 10 times I had to get out of bed to let them out. I'm not sure if they had the runs so to speak as I stood at the back door half asleep waiting for them.

Does Cod Liver do this to dogs? Is the dosage perhaps wrong?

Edited by sas

You wouldn't think a teaspoon would make such a difference, especially in a larger puppy :laugh: . People used to give it to kids regularly.

Can you switch to morning dose, just in case it is the cod liver oil? Far as I know, it's for the omega 3 which is also in oily fish e.g. sardines, flaxseed oil etc. Perhaps you could try these instead if you think it is the oil that disagrees with the dogs?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

1 tsp shouldnt have a huge effect on such a big dog, but the cod liver oil gives humans the runs. I agree with PR, try a tin of sardines or maybe fish oil capsule squeezed onto the food. Do it in the morning with breakfast to avoid you being up all night.

Our Doggy Chiro suggested giving our dogs 1 tea spoon of Cod Liver Oil every 3 days, he said it would especially be good for the puppy as it gets into their marrow and makes the bones stronger.

So before trying it, I contacted my breeder to make sure it's ok. She hasn't used it before but doesn't think it should be an issue.

Well today I'm a walking zombie, because overnight the dogs needed to go to the toilet 5 times each, that's 10 times I had to get out of bed to let them out. I'm not sure if they had the runs so to speak as I stood at the back door half asleep waiting for them.

Does Cod Liver do this to dogs? Is the dosage perhaps wrong?

I had to laugh, my Mum used to give this to my Brother when he was young for constipation, and if you mention it too him now he nearly dry reaches thinking about it. :thumbsup:

The fur-kids are already on fish oil every evening, but the Chiro thought it would be a good idea to put them on the Cod Liver.

Interesting is the container says to give only 1ml not a tea spoon, a tea spoon is 10 mls?

CLO is primarily vit A and vit D. Both are vitamins that you don't want to overdose on. It's probably vit d that the chiro wants for bones, but if you are feeding a good balanced diet and your dog's are getting lots of sunshine you probably don't need it. CLO only has a small amount of Omega 3's, you would have to give a massive amount to get a benefit of that.

1 teaspoon = 5ml

Fish oil capsules are a better way to go. They have a better balance of omega 3 and omega 6 than cod liver oil

We use Sprint oil as it has omega 3 & 6 oil which gives better absorbtion and for $38.50 for 5 litres value for money as you only use one cap full

Fish oil capsules are a better way to go. They have a better balance of omega 3 and omega 6 than cod liver oil

We use Sprint oil as it has omega 3 & 6 oil which gives better absorbtion and for $38.50 for 5 litres value for money as you only use one cap full

Jenkie99

Where are you located and where do you get the sprint oil from?