Stevie's Sore Ears

Katdogs

Stevie seems to get sore ears very easily after being wet. Even if she hasn't been swimming, just splashing in puddles or walking in the rain makes them very dirty and sore deep inside. I can only clean as far as I can reach, but can I use drops like swimmers use to help dry the ears? I think they're alcohol based. Colloidal silver has been suggested in General thread as well.

Will any damage be done if we use human drops? Or is there any other way of cleaning and drying the ears way down deep?

Edited by Stevie&Jodie

I wouldn't be using methylated spirits unless a vet has looked in the ears to make sure there are no raw areas. I suspect methylated spirits would sting a lot.

If you cause the dogs ears to sting you'll have a lifetime problem trying to attend to his ears. I would go the way of Colloidal Silver. Maybe phone and ask the vet.

I'll run all the suggestions past the vet, don't worry.

Stevie's already perfected the floppy slide ("I'm sitting I'm sitting I'm sliding...") to get away from ear drops, we've had to put antibiotics in so much, so we go the knee crunch and hold from behind.

just as an aside she isn't allergic to her kibble is she? I know my Tilly got a very nasty ear infection when I changed her to another brand of food when we were away on holidays because of unavailability of her normal brand?

Also there are so many dog ear drops out there, I would be using them, with vet's approval, rather than those made for humans.

She's been on the same kibble for over a year now, so I hope it isn't that.

I'll have a look at the ear drops at our local supplies place, but I thought they were mainly for ongoing cleaning, not specifically for swimmers ear. If they're mainly alcohol anyway, I'll give them a go! We want to find something better than regular antibiotics!

when did she start getting bad ears may answer whether it is the kibble or not. Did they change the formula at any stage or indeed did you change "flavours", that may assist you to know. I'm not sure what you are feeding her? If it's not an additive/preservate etc free one you might like to give that a go and see whether that helps with ears.

Just a suggestion :-) I've learnt from trial and error with Tilly mostly how to avoid hot spots, itchies and ear infections :thumbsup:

Edited by Onslowsmum

She's been on Royal Canin all her life - large breed puppy until about 13 months old, then slowly moved across to Lab, which she's been on for over a year now. She gets some bits and pieces for fun/variety - sardines, eggs, bones - but usually only for one meal per week. Plus of course pegs, soft toys, grass, hardwood - whatever she feels like chewing for the day!

She has had hot spot as well, it was scary how fast it went all over her face, but the vet thought that might have been spider or wandering jew.

We have started the antibiotics again, will do that for a week or so to clear up the current infection then re-assess food and ongoing ear maintenance.

the diet extras sounds like the diet of my three :(

mmm sounds like the Royal Canin may well not be the problem :( unless they changed the formula :rofl:

and yes the hot spots do develop scaringly quickly, I noticed Tilly's, by the time of the vet's appointment it was only 2 hours later and it was red and weeping and horrible :) Onsy, touch wood has never had one!

hope the problem is solved soon.