Really Confused, Diet = Constipation?

I have made an appointment to take Bear to the vet this arvo as he is constipated, got up this morning at 3am and his tummy was grumbling really loud, sat up with him, took him out to the toilet and tried several times but couldnt.

Now I done a little research and I read that too many bones and mince can cause constipation, well thats the majority of his diet, raw beef, chicken kangaroo and mutton mince, chicken necks, carcasses, wings, rice and small amounts of pumpkin, with every 2nd -3rd day a beef, kangaroo, or lambs bone mid day.

He is still active, running around like a mad dog, initiating play, doesnt appear uncomfortable but he hasnt eaten last night or this morning, the vet said if he does become lethargic, doesnt want to do anything then bring him in straight away, but he's been fine except for not being able to pass anything out the back door.

So should I take him off the raw diet and put him back on Ukanuba?? Im confused?? he is going really well on the raw diet, if anyone has any advise please let me know, am I overdoing it with the mince, or bones??

I'd get rid of the rice as it's not needed - but perhaps increase the amount of vegies he's getting and some offal and go from there. And add some oily sardines/fish once a week to also help his system.

How long as he been on the raw diet? Just could be his system still getting use to it?

He's been on raw diet for 2 months, our NUMPTY vet told us rice rice rice! and more rice!, I cook up brown rice and give them 3-4 table spoons mixed in with the mince.

He is on fish oil and flaxseed tabs also, I have tried him on offal, just a little bit to start with and that was the only thing left in his bowl, he hates it, now if we were to put it in his food on top or mix it in, he wont touch his food all together so we stoped giving it to him.

Too much bone will bind them up. Also rice is used for binding them up when they have the runs, so that will contribute too...

You want to look at what level of bone you are feeding. You may also find that he gets blocked anal glands too as too hard a poop is the same as too soft and the anal glands wont express properly.

Too much bone will bind them up. Also rice is used for binding them up when they have the runs, so that will contribute too...

You want to look at what level of bone you are feeding. You may also find that he gets blocked anal glands too as too hard a poop is the same as too soft and the anal glands wont express properly.

He has been getting a chicken carcass for breaky for the last 5 days, then 3 chicken necks on top of his mince and rice for dinner, with a beef bone every 2-3 days at miday.

Is this too much?

This might sound weird but try adding some cooked pumpkin to his mince and rice meal - it's loaded with fibre and while there is no real nutritional value in it, the soft bulk will help with constipation.

You've met my Dougal Dog - he gets constipated often and it's usually too many bones - as in marrow or lamb bones - I'm sure he steals Duncan's as well which adds to the problem. I give him roast pumpkin and a good handful of kibble (Coprice) regularly - he seems to need the bulk to keep his bowels moving.

My advice, rather than eliminating current foods, is to add higher fibre foods.

:)

If I feed all bones my Rottie will do the same, I feed ox cheek with the bones to prevent constipation. I often add fruit/veggies to the meat as well. Many raw feeders hate it when people say to add fruit/veggies, as they don't get the full benefit that we do. Can't hurt, but they love it and it adds to the bulk without the grain. I also add 3 caps. of fish oil or sardines to the meals.

You can add liver or kidney but be careful not to give too much or it will give the reverse effect. Not nice. But it will get things moving.

I either use barf patties bought or homemade or add the Vets all natural (less than the recommended amount due to the grains) to the meat.

Are you feeding chicken mince (pet mince) with the frames, if so this is a double whammy of bones as the chicken mince (pet mince) is usually minced up chicken frames. Make sure that they are not putting any nasties in the mince, its no good. Easy test is to separate the mince a bit, if it is the same color all through then they add crap to keep in longer, if it is not nice and pink all the way through then it should be chemically free. You can still feed it but you will need to add the extras to get things moving again.

The vet will probably tell you to stop feeding the bones, remember that most vets think that pet food comes out of packets. Most have forgotten that dogs and cats need bones, not just physically but mentally as well. If your vet recommends bones then your luckier than me. Mine (3 so far) hate them, and I have been lectured about "people like you who put their pets in danger will never get it" then he added "irresponsible people like you". But that's another story.

No rice, increase the vegies, with things like zuccini, cabbage, cauli, carrots, beans, and add in raw fruit and pulp as well, and sardines in oil. If you are going to follow the BARF diet, the meat should be on the bone, not mince.

Thankguys I have taken everything on board, he already has pumpkin every 2-3 night with dinner, but I will add more fiber to his food, less bones, and you are so right Lisa M, I checked the chicken mince and it does have bits of bones already mixed up in it.

I really prefer the Kangaroo meat, and they love it!

He has been given parifin oil and is off for a walk this morning, I didnt take him yesterday because I wasnt sure if he'd be in the modd for a big walk, we usually go every day but him and Blitz were sprinting around at 11 last night out the back when it was suppose to be a quiet toilet break.

Thanks again guys.

P.S How are your beautiful boys going Duncan+Dougal???

Thankguys I have taken everything on board, he already has pumpkin every 2-3 night with dinner, but I will add more fiber to his food, less bones, and you are so right Lisa M, I checked the chicken mince and it does have bits of bones already mixed up in it.

If you are feeding the BARF diet correctly, you should not need to add supplements such as paraffin oil to prevent constipation. For those saying to reduce the bone, the BARF diet is 70% raw meaty bones, NOT mince/meat on it's own. The meat should be fed on the bone to allow the correct calcium to phosphorous ratio.

I'd go with adding a few more vegies, ie, cooked pumpkin and mix some flaxseed oil with his soft food.

My Jack Russell suffered with this exact problem for nearly 7 years. His was a side effect from Prednisone, but still had all the same problems. I just added flaxseed oil and a Slippery Elm tablet and suffice to say I now keep him off any form of Cortizone. There's nothing worse than watching your pal in pain and not being able to prevent it!

Good Lucl! :laugh:

Zoom