Training Activities For Dog On Strict Rest

My dog has recently injured/torn a tendon in her hind leg and is on strict rest for the next six weeks. I've read on here that people often do clicker training to keep their dogs mind's active if exercise is not possible. I'm just not sure what I can do with her that will not get her jumping around. Can anyone give me any ideas on good tricks to teach that will not require her to move around much - I'm not very imaginitive when it comes to these things. She's getting pretty bored and frustrated, as am I. The depressing thing is that the leg does not seem to be improving and we've done 2 weeks of inactivity already :thumbsup:

Thanks Haven and Kavik. Some good ideas. What do you mean by targetting?

And without going into great detail, how would you go about substance detection? What sort of things would you use?

Targeting is where you get the dog to touch an object with its nose or paw (normally). This is the area that clicker trainers love as it is a prime behaviour to teach with a clicker! Objects you can use for targeting include your hand, foot, piece of paper (on floor for foot), bin/box or stick etc - pretty much anything! It is good fun and gets the dog thinking.

Oh how frustrating for you and your dog!!!!

I love working with the clicker with my pup as I don't want to overdo his exercise at this young, tender age. I even brought a bucket out last week and clicked/treated when he held his head in it....there are lots of steps to it though (known as "shaping")....he knows about clicking and when he looked at the bucket I clicked (this took quite some time for him to work out that he didn't have to sit or drop or stand for a c/t...then he barked at me in frustration :laugh: )....it took a good 20 minutes to shape this behaviour and he was exhausted afterwards :thumbsup: Zig does bounce around a lot so it probably depends on your dog....that exercise may be too much but it may give you an idea...maybe try this link to give you some more info on clicking exercises.

Good luck with the leg!

Shake hands (both hands)

Wave (both hands)

Holding objects

Hide and seek with an object ( I will hide a toy in the dogs bean bag, or behind the curtains etc, then ask them to find it and bring it back)