Elimination Diet

I have to put Ali on an "Elimination Diet" as our vet thinks she has an Allergy to a certain food..... Part of the diet is to eat foods like, Kangaroo, Horse, Donkey, Venison etc..... This may seem like a dumb question but i just want to be sure i am doing things right..... Should this type of food be cooked or fed raw?? She is also on sweet potato, pumpkin, kidney beans etc.... (which i have cooked) Any info that anyone has from having their dog on such a diet would be greatly appreciated :)

I'd suggest raw with bone for the meats and raw but blended up for the vegies :) Good luck with finding what it is that doesn't sit well with your dog foodwise :D

Also keep fish and turkey in mind for the diet...many dogs are allergic to chicken these days but others are allergic to beef/lamb/redmeat in general - so...good luck!

The idea is to feed something that the dogs haven't eaten before that is basically one protein source and one carbohydrate source. Check the ingredients of your previous diet to make sure there is nothing in the elimination diet that was in your previous diet. Something like fish and potato is good as these are not found in a lot of commercial dog foods. If you want to give bones, then use the same type of meat in the diet as the bones, ie if you're going to use kangaroo meat, you'll need to give kangaroo bones! Also best to not add any supplements during the diet either.

Make sure you stick to the diet religiously for about 10 weeks I think it is.

Loraine - does that mean you feed meat only? no bone?

When I did the roo bit he was only on meat and no bones :rofl: Now he is on chicken mince (minced carcasses and meat) he also gets chicken wings to keep his teeth clean. I have just added cooked pumpkin to the mix of rice and carrott. He is on herbal stuff from R. MacDowell and he got way worse and his skin is just starting to clear :)

KitKat mine hasn't eaten bones in over 12 months on his special roo, carrot, zucchini diet. Gut/bowel is far too sensitive with food intolerances and ibd. To be honest not sure he will again anytime soon either.

His teeth are just fine, has plently of rubber toys to keep them clean.

Donkey??!! :rofl:

Chicken and white rice for my elimination diet - then we added in other foods that were not previously in his normal diet.

Beef was a definite no-no. Others have said any red meat should be eliminated then later reintroduced to see what affect if any there may be however I did feed lamb bones about once a week.

:thumbsup:

Donkey??!! :love:

Chicken and white rice for my elimination diet - then we added in other foods that were not previously in his normal diet.

Beef was a definite no-no. Others have said any red meat should be eliminated then later reintroduced to see what affect if any there may be however I did feed lamb bones about once a week.

:)

Thanks for the feed back.... much appreciated. I have beeen lightly searing the meat, as said above simply to make sure there are no parasites in the meat.... So far so good. Definately no problem with the food as it is gone in seconds, licks the bowl clean.... hehe Nearly everyone i tell that she is eating Donkey has a laugh.... hehe Horse is next, then Kangaroo.... :o

KitKat mine hasn't eaten bones in over 12 months on his special roo, carrot, zucchini diet. Gut/bowel is far too sensitive with food intolerances and ibd. To be honest not sure he will again anytime soon either.

His teeth are just fine, has plently of rubber toys to keep them clean.

I wasn't so much worried about teeth...just curious about the calcium ratio - do you suppliment or use egg shells or such?

During an elimination diet it's usual not to add a calcium source. Dog's can survive just fine on their mineral reserves for a couple of months. If you can use bones of the same source that's great.

Once you have figured out what foods suit the dog you can add calcium and other supps gradually. Some dog's react to certain supplements. My Bob doesn't tolerate calcium carbonate powder but has no problems with egg shell.