Desexing

malchi_girl

hi everyone i have been looking at some of the breeders websites for chihuahuas (we are looking for a friend for charlie) and they all say that the puppies will be avaliable at 8 weeks however most say that the puppies come desexed. the vet said she cant desex charlie auntil his testicles drop which will be around 6 months of age. how do the breeders desex earlier? i am asking because we would prefer to get charlie desexed earlier than 6months as that would be the 17th december and we are going away on a long holiday just after xmas so we want to know he is all better before he stays with his grandparents. one last question how long does it take them to recover? by the way charlie is a maltese x chihuahua (not sure if that makes any difference) thanks for any help or advice

I am a vet nurse and we desex AWL puppies from 8wks so long as the testicles are present-your boy may have a retained testicle which would make it a bigger surgery,having to also cut as you would a spey-so 2 incisions-one in scrotum and 1 in stomach it is a bigger op as you need to "find" the testicle.Being that you have a chi some vets are worried about the gas in such small dogs.We however have had no problems :banghead:

You can get desexing done from 8 weeks-but if the testicle is retained the surgery will take longer and usually more expensive.

By waiting till 6mths the testicle should be down by then but this does not always happen. :)

hope this helps :)

Usually stiches are taken out at 10 days but some vets will use dissolvable stiches-he should be kept quite for a couple of days-males tend to get over desexing quickly usually by the next day!

Edited by sheree_e4

Is there a reason your getting a Chi X Maltese, rather than a purebreed?

What health testing has the breeder done?

Both these breeds have hereditary problems which ethical breeders try to avoid by health testing the parents (NOT the offspring).

"Vet checked" is no substitute as most health problems occur months later :).

More extensive surgery will make this pup more expensive proposition.

Crossing with a Maltese could mean you need to take this pup to the groomers to be clipped regularly as well as a lot more grooming at home.

Clips are about $40-$65 each time, depending where you live, and is needed about every 1-3 months, depending on the coat.

Worth thinking about.

ETA: Sorry, misread :banghead:

Edited by Poodle wrangler

PW, the OP already has the Malt/Chi cross and is looking at a purebred Chi.

Malchi girl, puppies can be desexed as soon as their testicles are fully descended. That's as young as 6 weeks for most puppies.

Many Chi breeders are deeply concerned about keeping their puppies out of puppy mills and back yard breeding situations. They know that desexed puppies are of no interest to people who want to breed dogs purely for profit.

Most puppies recover from the op very quickly .. boys more quickly than girls. Other than caring for the stitches, you'll hardly know it was done.

thanks both of you for your help he is going to the vet next monday for his 12week vaccinations so i will discuss this again with the vet. we would normally have elected for a pure breed chihuahua and had been loking for one for a long time but we met charlie at an rspca shelter and couldnt leave him behind. thank you for your input though because we are new to all breeds of dogs and i wasnt aware cross breeds had more health problems but we will definetly keep a closer eye on him from now on. thanks again

hi everyone i have been looking at some of the breeders websites for chihuahuas (we are looking for a friend for charlie) and they all say that the puppies will be avaliable at 8 weeks however most say that the puppies come desexed. the vet said she cant desex charlie auntil his testicles drop which will be around 6 months of age. how do the breeders desex earlier? i am asking because we would prefer to get charlie desexed earlier than 6months as that would be the 17th december and we are going away on a long holiday just after xmas so we want to know he is all better before he stays with his grandparents. one last question how long does it take them to recover? by the way charlie is a maltese x chihuahua (not sure if that makes any difference) thanks for any help or advice

The breeders who say the puppies will be desexed stick with them, because they will have ethics :thumbsup:

thanks both of you for your help he is going to the vet next monday for his 12week vaccinations so i will discuss this again with the vet. we would normally have elected for a pure breed chihuahua and had been loking for one for a long time but we met charlie at an rspca shelter and couldnt leave him behind. thank you for your input though because we are new to all breeds of dogs and i wasnt aware cross breeds had more health problems but we will definetly keep a closer eye on him from now on. thanks again

I thought all dogs from the RSPCA came desexed prior to anyone taking them home??

Our boy was from the RSPCA and all dogs are desexed prior to taking them...

I thought all dogs from the RSPCA came desexed prior to anyone taking them home??

Our boy was from the RSPCA and all dogs are desexed prior to taking them...

Once again it depends on the age and the individual dog

Taz our mutt was from the RSPCA, he couldnt be done straight away so they gave us a desexing voucher type thingy. We came back a month later when he was just short of 6 months and had it done then.