Best Treat When Rewarding In Training

He is crazy about cabana, but I can't carry cabana with me :laugh:

Can somebody please recommend some treat that dogs are crazy about?

I tried buying dogs' chocolates and other treats from supermarket to no avail.

I would really be grateful for help.

He is crazy about cabana, but I can't carry cabana with me :laugh:

Can somebody please recommend some treat that dogs are crazy about?

I tried buying dogs' chocolates and other treats from supermarket to no avail.

I would really be grateful for help.

Have you tried giving your dog liver treats? You can buy those from the supermarket.. I use those when training my doggies

i've used,frankfurts,cabanossi.cheese , bbq chicken and left over steak from dinner but my dogs would eat anything :laugh:

http://www.callicoma.com.au/treats1.htm

ETA-just read you're wantig something you can carry all the time this website sells treats and in particular they have dried tuna i think it is that the owner said is especially good

Edited by 4 Paws

you can chop up sausages and put them in the oven for a bit to dry them out and make them nicer for carrying with you!

... or get a treat bag so you can chuck any messy treats in there!

Lana likes cheese, bbq chicken, liver treats (these are v clean - they dont ge AS crazy for them - but still v good)...

there is one that is v good - it is Jer-Hi I think... it is like a jerki chicken brest style stick - easy to carry with you and lasts for ages... my only prop is that it doesnt say salt content & generally this is an issue with jerki style meats... but Lana loves it! (fed in moderation due to ?? on salt)

For food, try SPAM. My dog loves spam, it is salty and fatty so YUM to them LOL. I used to hate it as a kid so ironic the dog loves it now. But it is soft and quick to swallow so makes ideal in training and a change from sausage.

But my dog, personally, prefers an old bit of HOSE as a reward LOL. She will die for that bit of hose at the moment :rofl:

i train Asia with sultanas, shes loves them :rofl: not messy or smelly & the littles boxes fit in your pocket!

Whoaaa - please do not feed sultanas to your dog. Grapes, raisins and grape products are known to cause liver and kidney disease in dogs. If you google "sultanas grapes dogs" you will find lots of information and research on this.

Boiled chicken breast cut into small pieces is a treat my Brittany cross dies for! I buy chicken breast fillets from the supermarket when they are reduced for quick sale (usually close to the expiry date) and boil them straight away and use them over 3-4 days.

Some trainers say that it;s a good idea to have a mixture of treats available in a training session (eg: chicken, cheese, hot dogs) to keep the dog keen - bit like that saying 'life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what ya gonna get!" Note - they must be 'high value' treats to keep the dog interested.

I keep liver treats in my pocket all the time and reward randomly (for doing something) just when we're out and about - so I don't use liver treats in proper training sessions.

Guest Piximatosis

I use chicken roll, devon roll, some cereals (cheerios, froot loops, crunchy nut cornflakes), hot dogs, liver treats... and McDonald's french fries :rofl:

Had a training session this afternoon with french fries actually :rofl: They are especially good for Holly as she snatches and makes my fingers bleed.. but with french fries I can hold them at the very end and I'm safe :laugh

Edited by Piximatosis

I use a range of treats - for low distraction some tiny puppy biscuits and the odd Nature's Gift chicken treat thrown in. For very high distraction (e.g. recall training at the beach) I use steamed chicken - Zig goes completely nuts for it......now I'm reducing the number of 'chicken' rewards and adding some low value treats in occasionally...it makes him even keener because he's never quite sure what he's going to get! We do 6-8 recalls per free run session so the rewards are very small...he gets a bonus when his lead goes on to go to the car and a bonus when getting in the car.....now I have a pup that loves to go home :rofl:

Why cant you carry cabana? I just shove the chopped up pieces in my pockets! If you plan to trial I would avoid a bum bag because it will become an unwanted focal point. Be careful not to make it obvious while you retrieve a treat to reward the dog. I find it better to move on to a target bag asap. The dog can then direct their focus on what you want, rather than jumping around looking for it on you.

Why cant you carry cabana? I just shove the chopped up pieces in my pockets! If you plan to trial I would avoid a bum bag because it will become an unwanted focal point. Be careful not to make it obvious while you retrieve a treat to reward the dog. I find it better to move on to a target bag asap. The dog can then direct their focus on what you want, rather than jumping around looking for it on you.

I agree with you on this Dogdude. The bum bag really easily becomes an unwanted focal point!! Put up with dirty pockets or use a target bag, I say. Target bag works well but so does storing treats in various pockets, or in my case a hose in the back pocket or up the sleeve, down the shirt, up the other sleeve, down the neck... LOL.

I use liver treats you can buy at feed stores (Bit different from the supermarket style liver treats, they seem to be a bit thicker and chewier?) BUT have also used cat treats in the past. In most supermarkets you can buy little bags of dried fishies :thumbsup: and the dogs LURVE them, they are easy to carry, don't smell bad and are cheap to buy. I use the nature's gift beef or chicken treats to teach tracking as they are soft and the dogs eat them quickly and keep going (Instead of standing chewing for 5 minutes!) But the dogs don't seem to get as excited about them as everyday training treats.

Why not the Cabana?

My boyz love Cabana too I cut it up into tiny slices and then 1/2 it for Clancy at least, sits in my treat bag whilst out and about (my treat bag is also my poo bag container and key holder-all in seperate sections I should add :rofl: )

Just have to remember to put treat bag into fridge when home!

I also change treats around, ie cheese bits, liver treats, etc

Annie and her boyz