Has Anyone Bought A Cool-oz Dog Jacket Of Ebay

brandybaby

Haven't bought one, sorry. I'm not sure I would want one unless my dog had a special medical condition or something?

There's enough shade for the dogs on a hot day and poodle "wool" is not a bad insulator for them. I just make sure they have plenty of water and aren't exercised during the hottest part of the day. My observation's been that they rest when hot.

Any way to get more shade for the dogs? Paddling pool?

Such as Life.

They are cheap as chips to make.

Go to Bunnings or hardware or Hydroponics store and buy water crystals. About $5 for 200 gr jar.

IF you are handy with a sewing machine, can get something to line an existing dog coat or make your own. I have made a cooling mat for my dogs here. I work on about 1 teaspoon per 10cm square.

I use a reasonably thickish material. Go to Spotlight or any other cheap fabric shop... Bought some good nylon type material for about $4/meter and it was a 130 wide... Know some have used old pillow cases.

The water crystals are what soak up the water and take a few days to dry out.

Much cheaper way to try it....

Such as Life,

One thing to remember... Dogs lose heat via panting, their under carriage and pads.. If you wet the back. you can actually steam them... It could be a good idea to put something under her rather than over the back.

There is another thread about bullies and genetic diseases. I thought I read heart attack is one of them... Has the vet given any advise on best treatment methods? It is sad indeed that a baby puppy has already suffered one. My thoughts to you

wE HAVE A PUPPY BULDDOG AND SHE ALREADY HAD A HEAT ATTACK ON SUNDAY AND IT REALY WASNT HOT.sHE WILL SUFFER BIG TIME IN SUMMER ,SEEING THOUGH THEY HAVE BREATHING PROBLEMS ALREADY LET ALONE WITH THE HEAT ADDING TO THERE PROBLEMS

Do you mean heat stroke? :cry: You're only on Central Coast area, NSW :mad

So, what's her current environment?

What does her breeder suggest for managing this problem, if it's breed related?

Now I see why you're so concerned..

wE WERE ACTUALLY AT WISEMANS FERRY AT A FAMILY REUNION SITTING ON THE GROUND NEAR SOME TREES.WE WALKED ON THE BEACH.SHE SLEPT.nOTHING TO ADVENTUROUS.bUT i WAS TOLD BY THE LADY WHO REARED THE PUPS THAT SHE IS A WINTER BABY AND MIGHT FEEL THE HEAT ALOT MORE UNTIL SHE GETS USED TO IT ABIT.i WILL BE AT WORK FOR 8 HRS AND WANTED SOMETHING TO KEEP HER COOL UNTIL THE KIDS GET HOME FROM SCHOOL AND CAN THE COOL HER MORE IF NEEDED.iT CAN GET OVER 45 DEGREES IN SUMMER OUTSIDE AND ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING TO HELP COOL.WE DO HAVE SOME SHADE BUT i WANT HER TO STAY INSIDE IF I CAN.THAT MEANS THE ROTTWEILER IS OUTSIDE AND THE BULLDOG AND THE COCKERSPANIEL IS INSIDE/OUTSIDE[DOG FLAP]

Where is the BB's breeder located? How does she manage this problem?

When she had the problem with heat, what exactly happened? Did she have enough water? Was walking to the beach too much for her?

I'd be really worried with summer coming on, too.

I don't know about BB, but it doesn't sound normal that a dog gets heat stroke so easily?

HAs she been thoroughly checked by a vet familiar with the breed (ask breeder if s/he knows someone near you)?

Hi

she has never been out in the sun before so i think she might of paniced.She had plenty of water and it had been over 1hr after going to the water.She will obviuosly be a bit more sensitive while she is young.

Cinda!

did you buy exactly this jacket or another brand.

I think i am going to just buy one then i have it.I dont have time to make one.If anyone else wants to make me one let me know and I will pay.

Hi

she has never been out in the sun before so i think she might of paniced.She had plenty of water and it had been over 1hr after going to the water.She will obviuosly be a bit more sensitive while she is young.

Cinda!

did you buy exactly this jacket or another brand.

I think i am going to just buy one then i have it.I dont have time to make one.If anyone else wants to make me one let me know and I will pay.

As a puppy her heat tolerance is at it's best, she will become less tolerant with age. If the coats are the ones with the crystals in them they will only work short term and certainly not for 8 hours. The longer the fabric is in contact with the body the warmer the crystals become. These coats are also quite heavy and if your pup becomes irritated by the coat she will attempt to take it off and chew it. The cool champions coats are far superior but even they won't stay cool for hours and hours on end.

Always take appropriate precautions if you are out with her, electrolytes are better than plain water, ice packs in an esky that can be slipped inside a towelling cover for her to lie on are also a good idea. Each time the pup moves into a state of heat stress her ability to cope with the next attack is lowered as the excessive panting can swell her airways putting pressure on a young and delicate trachea. A major attack of heat stress requires veterinary treatment where cortisone is used to reduce the swelling and potential damage.

The summer/ winter puppy thing is also a fallacy, summer pups can have the same heat tolerance levels (or lack thereof) as winter pups. It is more to do with her own tolerance rather than the month she was born in. Some bulldogs suffer when the temperature is up around 27, others are still sunbaking in the low 30's without a pant.

thanks emilee

i have just bought the jacket.all those things will be done when it realy starts to heat up.right now this is a start.if she doesnt seem to handle the heat well in summer the plan is she is locked inside with the air con. while we are at work.

I agree leaving the jacket on all day unattended will cause much bigger problems & will cause the dog to over heat quicker.

Personally the silver eagle jacket whilst costing more is far superior but even then i wouldnt leave it on all day there not designed for that.The idea of the jackets is for cooling down & maintance not all day use .They need to be re activated after a set period otherwise its just like wearing a winter jacket & then creating humdity on the dog which cause much distress.

With the crystal jackets once they start to dry out the go stiff.

When you wet them they expend & do become very heavy & cumbersome & i would use them as a jacket at all.

I give Tsar large size ice blocks & forzen bones during hot summer days.

The bigger the ice block is, the longer it last and when I'm back from work, quite often the ice hasn't fully melted yet or the water is still cold. Tsar loves to lick the ice and drink the ice water throughout the day and it cools him down. I'll also give him frozen chicken frames to act like icecream and he loves it!

I did consider buying the cooling matts but have second thoughts about him chewing it up and eat the content in it.