What Can You Do When An Instructor Offends You On The First Day?

Guest Steph & Bam

S&B:

I have arranged to go and watch some other classes with Bam and work on the focus there, which I had done before this conversation took place. I was slightly offended and quite upset by this one trainers perspective, and for the classes that I want to do, she will be there. What can I do or say about it, if there is anything?

Say nothing.. just prove her wrong. Success silences critics faster than anything else.

It's just one person's opinion.

Mate, chalk it up to experience & grow a thicker skin, there will always be someone ready to tell you that you can't succeed because the dog is the wrong breed, too excitable, too old, too young, too large, too small etc etc. That's their opinion & they are entitled to it, just let it roll off like water off a ducks back & get involved in what is really important which is training your dog! You know the best response is to prove her wrong :) .

Hear hear Mrs D!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great response :laugh: Imho, i've never heard anything so silly in my life as to say an entire dog can't pay attention in class. Does that mean there are bitches in season on the field every week or something??? You are right Mrs D. There is always someone ready to tell you that you are doing things wrong, your dog is wrong this wrong that wrong the other. Just look straight ahead and do the enjoyable thing and carry on achieving your goals training, entire or not!!! I wonder why the trainer was so down on entire dogs, though. It's a bit sad.

Guest Steph & Bam

Thank you :) I do feel a bit silly for over-reacting. Well, I'm set to prove her wrong, until Bam gets desexed :laugh:

Poodle-Wrangler, it's more the principal of the matter. How did anyone get to be the head trainer of any establishment with that attitude? I found it rude and offensive the way she said it.

Tell them to go stick it. There are plenty of entire dogs out there trialling and doing very well. Know quite a few with UD and even OC.

Aldahoven Jaeger GSD 200 pts in the ring... he's not desexed!!!!!!!!!!!!! The idea that you have to desex your dog to have it perform better in Obedience is utter CRAP. And I could name plenty of others. Plus, in some respects, with these purebred Trialling dogs, why would you desex them? Wouldn't you want to use them to perpetuate good working capabilities? As I said in the other post, take no notice.

Edited by Arya

Thank you ;) I do feel a bit silly for over-reacting. Well, I'm set to prove her wrong, until Bam gets desexed :)

Poodle-Wrangler, it's more the principal of the matter. How did anyone get to be the head trainer of any establishment with that attitude? I found it rude and offensive the way she said it.

Yeah, I can understand that!

Our trainer told off an owner for repeatedly 'kneeing' her dog in the chest in front of the whole class ;)

I noticed it too, more because I was checking out the owner's nice-looking GSD, and my impression was that she was just blocking the dog so he didn't jump. Trainer made it sound as if she was being abusive ;) and didn't suggest anything specific to otherwise stop the behaviour. I just take what I can from classes- they're all volunteers, so there's no point getting upset about it at our club.

Edited by Poodle wrangler