Recommended Groomer Brisbane/northside

Hi there - am looking for a recommended groomer in the Northside of Brisbane.

I have a puppy Pomeranian and am wanting to have him groomed shortly but am wanting a professional to do it first so i can see the proper way of using a slicker brush and comb etc making it as painless on him as possible.

I certainly dont want to be using him as a test dummy - not too sure how good my skills wil be :cry:

Hi,

I definitely recommend Animal House on Webster Road in Stafford. We've tried a couple of groomers in the area and have found that when our dogs have been with other groomers they seem really unhappy and docile, whereas when they've been at animal house they are happy and full of energy. It might be because Animal House don't string the dogs up on grooming hooks or grooming frames.

The last time I was there they were going to be moving soon to Bridgeman Downs - I'm not sure if they have yet. Their phone number is 38562547 if you want to gve them a call. They get pretty booked up, so you may have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment because they are popular.

All the best.

It might be because Animal House don't string the dogs up on grooming hooks or grooming frames.

WTF?

I'm not sure what you actually mean, but I'll answer you 'question' in the way I think it was intended by saying that one place I went to used a hook/frame to keep them from sitting down - they put it around their groin/stomach area. They also put one around their neck instead of a leash. It looked highly uncomfortable and quite cruel so I didn't take them back. Is this something that is very much un-heard of? Should I be complaining to he RSPCA? The swearing in your 'question' makes me think that maybe its not widely done and is considered abuse or something.

Edited by gilbertgrape

Many groomers use the grooming arm or body noose to make it easier to groom dogs that have no manners at all on the table .

Personally i dont use them but many of the show people use the grooming arm & it doesnt cause any issues providing the user uses it in the manner it should be.

Its not abuse at all.Many dogs that come in have never been taught to stand still,stand up or infact been taught to be brushed & when these dogs come along it can make grooming very difficult & dangerous.

"I have a puppy Pomeranian and am wanting to have him groomed shortly but am wanting a professional to do it first so i can see the proper way of using a slicker brush and comb etc making it as painless on him as possible"

Generally with salons you dont stay & watch,the dog will be groomed & then you pick it up.

Did the breeder not show you how to brush your dog ??

Many groomers use the grooming arm or body noose to make it easier to groom dogs that have no manners at all on the table .

Personally i dont use them but many of the show people use the grooming arm & it doesnt cause any issues providing the user uses it in the manner it should be.

Its not abuse at all.Many dogs that come in have never been taught to stand still,stand up or infact been taught to be brushed & when these dogs come along it can make grooming very difficult & dangerous.

"I have a puppy Pomeranian and am wanting to have him groomed shortly but am wanting a professional to do it first so i can see the proper way of using a slicker brush and comb etc making it as painless on him as possible"

Generally with salons you dont stay & watch,the dog will be groomed & then you pick it up.

Did the breeder not show you how to brush your dog ??

No i have purchased the puppy from intersate so unfortunately for me - i havent been physically shown how to groom!! :)

I know that its best just to teach them to be comfortable with the brush early on - so they dont try and avoid it at all costs, but now i am working myself in a knot about it because although he will need to be regularly groomed, he will need some maintainence grooming at least once or twice a week!!

mayabe i should invest in a grooming book??

Hi,

I definitely recommend Animal House on Webster Road in Stafford. We've tried a couple of groomers in the area and have found that when our dogs have been with other groomers they seem really unhappy and docile, whereas when they've been at animal house they are happy and full of energy. It might be because Animal House don't string the dogs up on grooming hooks or grooming frames.

The last time I was there they were going to be moving soon to Bridgeman Downs - I'm not sure if they have yet. Their phone number is 38562547 if you want to gve them a call. They get pretty booked up, so you may have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment because they are popular.

All the best.

Thanks for that i will definately keep those details! I have googled them too and have a pretty decent website! Tankx

I didn't think it was abuse as such, until i saw irish charm's reaction.... maybe it was my use of the word hook that was the problem!

All I know is that I don't really like it, so if I have a choice between somewhere that does it and somewhere that doesn't do it, I'll choose the latter.

Thanks for your reply clarifying it all!! :)

Just have a chat with the groomer..... If you're to be a regular client, I'd say they'd be happy to see a well-brushed dog. They may be happy to show you, but may need to know in advance :). Good groomers are often very busy!

Sadly, some people allow their dogs to become a matted mess before taking them to the groomer.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there - am looking for a recommended groomer in the Northside of Brisbane.

I have a puppy Pomeranian and am wanting to have him groomed shortly but am wanting a professional to do it first so i can see the proper way of using a slicker brush and comb etc making it as painless on him as possible.

I certainly dont want to be using him as a test dummy - not too sure how good my skills wil be ;)

Hi,

Seeing that you live at Bald Hills and we live just next door at Bracken Ridge then we'd gladly show you how to groom your Pom. We have only been showing Poms for 8 months but have it pretty well down pat now :) The Pom breeder that we bought our first Pom from lives at Bald Hills too! (we now have 3 and counting :rofl: )

We have used a professional groomer from the Southside who trims a lot of the Pom showdogs in SE QLD. We actually use some of the Animal House products with Coat Magic being great for grooming out a Pom.

If you want to catch up and see our Poms and grooming then call us on 3261 9798 (we have a breeders prefix link on DOL of Pomquest) we are just around the corner on Bracken Ridge Rd.

Cheers, Brett and Sandy.

PS. This is our first ever post on DOL so don't know how we'll go :eek: