Desexing Advice

danelover

Yesterday, Abbi's incision looked red, moist swollen on one side and she was a bit uncomfortable. Today we took Abbi back to the vet. Vet says the swelling is just the fluid, stained with blood. Tonight there was more blood stained fluid oozing out than yesterday. Abbi has been on the elizabethan collar all day. I am a bit worried. Has anyone experienced this? I am not happy with this.

If she was only desexed in the last couple of days then I wouldn't be concerned. You have had the Vet look at it and they have said it is ok so why the worry?

A clear discharge is perfectly normal on a fresh wound, as is a little redness around the surgical site. Afterall the skin has been sliced with a scalpel. The clear fluid is the bodies reaction to healing itself. The fluid will help 'stick' the wound together, exactly as if you had cut yourself.

Signs to be concerned about are an angry redness and swelling, puss or a dirty coloured smelly discharge, the wound tearing open, obvious pain which is more then usual, the dog vomiting, being off colour and depressed and or not drinking.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, Abbi's incision looked red, moist swollen on one side and she was a bit uncomfortable. Today we took Abbi back to the vet. Vet says the swelling is just the fluid, stained with blood. Tonight there was more blood stained fluid oozing out than yesterday. Abbi has been on the elizabethan collar all day. I am a bit worried. Has anyone experienced this? I am not happy with this.

If she was only desexed in the last couple of days then I wouldn't be concerned. You have had the Vet look at it and they have said it is ok so why the worry?

A clear discharge is perfectly normal on a fresh wound, as is a little redness around the surgical site. Afterall the skin has been sliced with a scalpel. The clear fluid is the bodies reaction to healing itself. The fluid will help 'stick' the wound together, exactly as if you had cut yourself.

Signs to be concerned about are an angry redness and swelling, puss or a dirty coloured smelly discharge, the wound tearing open, obvious pain which is more then usual, the dog vomiting, being off colour and depressed and or not drinking.

Thanks Puggles! I am a worry wort allright. The fluid discharge is a bit worse this morning. Have rang the vet and they said to take her in and they will drain the fluid. The nurse said it is common that this occur on active dogs.

Thanks Puggles! I am a worry wort allright. The fluid discharge is a bit worse this morning. Have rang the vet and they said to take her in and they will drain the fluid. The nurse said it is common that this occur on active dogs.

Good work. Keep communicating with your Vet and all will be fine I am sure.

Thanks for taking the time to post that, Rappie. Sounds like you do pretty much what my vet does.

Even if the bloods aren't absolutely necessary, I would think it could be pretty handy to have a baseline of 'normal' for that animal, as a reference in case of need down the track.