Slicker Brushes, Combs, Etc

Baby Dragon

I have a Labradoodle with a really thick coat. I bought a supermarket Slicker Brush, thinking it was the right kind, but I think it's way too harsh on him and he hates it.

I'm looking for recommendations of good, soft Slicker Brush and comb brands... so far I have heard good things about the Doggyman brand.

Are there any other good brands that people can recommend?

I'm also wondering about a Stylemaster Ultra Soft Slicker Brush - they are less expensive than Doggyman, has anyone used these before?

Thanks heaps :thumbsup:

I have a Labradoodle with a really thick coat. I bought a supermarket Slicker Brush, thinking it was the right kind, but I think it's way too harsh on him and he hates it.

I'm looking for recommendations of good, soft Slicker Brush and comb brands... so far I have heard good things about the Doggyman brand.

Are there any other good brands that people can recommend?

I'm also wondering about a Stylemaster Ultra Soft Slicker Brush - they are less expensive than Doggyman, has anyone used these before?

Thanks heaps :thumbsup:

Never make the mistake of buying cheap grooming equipment if you have a dog that's got a heavy coat and is going to need grooming on a regular basis. But the very best you can afford, it's easier to use and lasts much longer. With slicker brushes it's very important to get a good brand as cheap slickers are harsh and scratch the dog, if you start using a cheap slicker on a puppy you may end up with a dog that hates being groomed. Generally if you run a slicker down your arm and it scratches it's going to do exactly the same to the dog.

I'm not sure you need the small face comb, but will defer to more experienced groomers on that one.

I've seen the Doggyman brand slickers in quite a few poodle showies' grooming kits (sticky beak, sorry).

Dunno about that comb in particular- one like it is fine.

I bought a whole lot of grooming stuff from the USA, but had to spend about $100 to make the postage worthwhile. Much cheaper gear there!!

I bought a mars comb and that is fabulous, they are not cheap (around $70)but they save you heaps in the long run....i dont know what brand our slicker brush is but i remember it cost about $50, but it has lasted really well and the dog loves it. We also have a hand mitt by the same people and that is fab after using the other brushes to get any loose fur and to smooth the coat out.

I also use the doggyman slickers on my own dogs, though the dogs in the salon with mats get the universal slicker on them as it is stronger and can cope better. You need to brush the hair by section so you aren't digging in deep and scratching the dogs skin.

Comb - my fave is the Resco, the one with extra deep teeth. Has a smooth finish, rounded teeth and is deep enough to get into thick coats to fluff them up or just to check for mats.

Thank you guys :)

I got a Doggy Man slicker and a comb, it sounds like they are really what I need!

becks, can you please explain a little more about brushing in sections? How big a section? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to grooming.

Can you brush fairly hard with a Doggy Man slicker, like right to the skin?

Ta

Edited by Blossom

Got my stuff today :thumbsup: thanks everyone

At first i thought they'd sent me the wrong brand of Slicker because it didn't say 'doggy man' on the packet... but it says it on the other side of the brush if you open it, so i think it's right...

Edited by Blossom

I used a softer type slicker for my Cockers until my groomer suggested a firmer one.

I get better results with the firmer.

Spanky loves laying around getting brushed with a pin brush (used most nights), doesn't complain when I used the stiff slicker (couple times a week).

I use a Universal brand slicker: http://www.groomers.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=190101+2S&Cat=

Bonz

I used a softer type slicker for my Cockers until my groomer suggested a firmer one.

I get better results with the firmer.

Spanky loves laying around getting brushed with a pin brush (used most nights), doesn't complain when I used the stiff slicker (couple times a week).

I use a Universal brand slicker: http://www.groomers.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=190101+2S&Cat=

Bonz

Is that because they have an undercoat?

I think the firmer also suits some terriers, but I'd never buy one without a recommendation from a good groomer or breeder.

The firmer one helps in getting closer to the skin, rather than skimming over any potential knots/knots in their undercoat.

It can still happen sometimes with the stiffer slickers.

Andy (RIP), and now Spanky have never acted like the stiffer slickers hurt their skin.

Have you noticed how cheap the Universal slikckers are?

Bonz