English Vs American Cocker Coats

OK. Someone has told my mum that she should get a Spoodle, and that she should get one that has an American Cocker parent rather than English Cocker parent because American Cockers don't shed.

I can cover most oodle marketing puffery, but this is a new one to me and I'm no Cocker expert. What are the characteristics of the two Cocker coats? She likes an American Cocker a friend has, are they low shedding dogs?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Can you show her a link to Leo's Story?

I really hope you can convince her not to buy one of these BYB/ puppy farmed dogs :rolleyes:. You wouldn't wish to support these people and it may mean heartbreak for her with a dog with multiple problems.

I've got poodles and have groomed a labXpoodle that lived with us for 6 weeks.

The fact that you're mixing a poodle and cocker will result in a dog with high grooming needs, regardless.

Poodles shed fur, but it gets caught up in their coat making brushing necessary to avoid matts and discomfort to dog. More accurate to say poodles don't "drop fur".

What happens when you mix in another breed is that you get a wide variety of types of coats. Most will need a lot of care- those that shed less, need more clipping. Shed more, still need clipping and more brushing to avoid matts. For this reason, it's pointless to get too hung up on which kind of cocker it's mixed with. Also, many pups have a coat change at around a year old and the coat texture can change at that time.

For a clip, you can expect to pay $50-75 each time if dog is kept brushed, depending on the groomer and where you live.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

If she wants a non shedding dog, suggest she get a poodle.

Americans have much heavier and longer coats than English. Have a look at the breed profiles on the DOL home page to give you an idea. And, many coats bulk up a lot more after desexing.

All cockers shed, but if they are kept well groomed it is barely noticeable shedding. A combination of an American coat and a poodle coat would be somewhat frightening, and I imagine would need a lot of work to keep it matt free. Best to go for a purebreed for a predictable and more manageable type of coat.

The fact that you're mixing a poodle and cocker will result in a dog with high grooming needs, regardless.

Poodles shed fur, but it gets caught up in their coat making brushing necessary to avoid matts and discomfort to dog. More accurate to say poodles don't "drop fur".

Sorry for hijack, but WOW I never knew that!

Goodluck convincing her otherwise anita :thumbsup:

Edited by luvabull

If she wants a dog that doesn't shed, she can get a purebred poodle or lagotto from a registered breeder. She will know about poodles, and has she seen how gorgeous lagotti are? They are adorable... here's a pic http://www.dogs.net.au/lagotto/

If she wants a 'spoodle' or other mix, she should avoid puppies, because as others have said, their coats change at about 12 months, and you can't tell if they will shed or not when they are puppies. If she's set on a mix breed, she should go for a rescue dog. They are normally a bit older and their foster carers can tell you about their personalities, how much they shed, etc.

See my dog in my signature? He was a rescue dog. Nothing wrong with rescues, and you'd be saving a life.

Edited by Blossom

Sorry for hijack, but WOW I never knew that!

Goodluck convincing her otherwise anita :rolleyes:

Hope I didn't give the wrong impression- poodles aren't really high maintenance in shorter pet clips.

I only need to brush my pet poodles once or twice a week and they're inside-outside dogs, go bushwalking, beach etc. Clip every 4-6 weeks.

Most poodleXs are more high maintenance IMO. They're harder to clip, too.

The parti coloured yanks shed more than the solids but by no means are they heavy shedders.

There is only 1 place that i now off that specializes in this cross & as a past breeder of americans its devasting.

Both poodles & americans have health issues.Both can be affected by cataracts,PRA.Plus other breed specific issues.

Both have very different coats & the cross ends up like a overgrown woolly matting sheep.

The 2 breeds also have very different natures & within the americans parti colours can have a very different temp to the solids.

Both poodles & americans have health issues.Both can be affected by cataracts,PRA.Plus other breed specific issues.

Both have very different coats & the cross ends up like a overgrown woolly matting sheep.

Thanks showdog, I've had a chat to my mum and that overgrown woolly matting sheep image was very handy! That's not what she wants at all.

I think she is going to go for a Tibetan Spaniel. *fingers crossed*

:) ;) Can you show her a link to Leo's Story?

I really hope you can convince her not to buy one of these BYB/ puppy farmed dogs :rofl:. You wouldn't wish to support these people and it may mean heartbreak for her with a dog with multiple problems.

I've got poodles and have groomed a labXpoodle that lived with us for 6 weeks.

Poodles shed fur, but it gets caught up in their coat making brushing necessary to avoid matts and discomfort to dog. More accurate to say poodles don't "drop fur"

Thanks poodlewrangler, that was a useful bit of information about the difference between dropping and shedding coat. I hope she doesn't end up with a pet shop oodle too and I'm trying hard to balance giving information without pushing.