How To Clip A Cavalier?

Unfortunately yes, I get quite a few in summer. It depends on the condition of the hair as to what can be done, but I have only seen 1 matted cav.

Most people want it all shaved off, so just check with the owners what they want. I do this with a 5#, just as I would a malt, but leave the ears and tail. Check though as some people even like ears and tail all shaved off.

You can also do a spaniel clip on a cav. Check out pics of the English Cockers and how they're clipped. Also, if you have a good grooming book, just follow the style of the English Cocker Spaniel.

This clip does look quite nice on a Cav.

But you're right, it is not a breed you would normally clip.

Edited by BC

"Cavs are like mini Saints" ...........

I have a Saint and apart from the mouth area they are verrrryyyyy different lol

But I get what you mean, their faces are kinda simular!

As for the 5# or 7#, I'll just let them pick! I dont mind showing them the different metal blades so its

entirely upto them and if the length isnt what they pictured, they chose it.

Edit, Very sorry Dru, I just noticed you also owned a Saint, sorry for your recent loss. (hugs)

Edited by saintlysusan

Thanks Susan ;)

I don't know why but the two breeds have always reminded me of each other - I love both breeds, they're both so biddable and sweetly gentle. And I guess as my past Saints have been the same colouring as the more popular Blenheims. :)

We find most owners who request clip offs think thats how there groomed.We always explain why a cavie isnt normally clipped,we explain the affect it will have on the coat & we ask what they want the dog to look like.

99% of the time the owners didnt want the dog clipped off so make sure both parties understand.

We do have 4 we clip off & depending on the thickness off the coat it varies from an #8.5 too a #7,rarely a #5 as it sprouts everywhere.

With the clip offs we dog the body & leave the ears & tail although the ears may be clipped to look fluffy

I think with this one, and any grooming you do ask heaps of questions, so you understand what the owners are wanting and they fully understand what you're going to do and how it will look.

I ask a million questions on dogs I have never done before and I'm sure I drive the owners nuts, but I rather get everything right, that have a nasty surprise afterwards.

Bump.

Well now I have no idea whether they think I did a good job or not.

They wanted their cav top clipped, skirt left very long, legs left very long (too long imo)

Belly left long, chest clipped but wanted her to look like a Schnauzer (sp)?

Now I looked at them on here and they only have a slight skirt but granted Im looking at show dog pics.

The skirt I left was alot longer than in any pics but he seemed pleased with her.

I kinda feel like I didnt do it the right way but I did do exactly what they asked for (I think)

Anyhow, beautiful old girl, deaf and barely can see with cateracts in both eyes but temperment A+.

I want a cavvy now!

Bump.

Well now I have no idea whether they think I did a good job or not.

They wanted their cav top clipped, skirt left very long, legs left very long (too long imo)

Belly left long, chest clipped but wanted her to look like a Schnauzer (sp)?

Now I looked at them on here and they only have a slight skirt but granted Im looking at show dog pics.

The skirt I left was alot longer than in any pics but he seemed pleased with her.

I kinda feel like I didnt do it the right way but I did do exactly what they asked for (I think)

Anyhow, beautiful old girl, deaf and barely can see with cateracts in both eyes but temperment A+.

I want a cavvy now!

I am extremely particular about my dogs grooming as I have seen a lot of shaved cavs and I really don't like it. We had both of our dogs done last saturday and I was delighted with the results. The groomer we use runs a pick up and deliver service and after he had picked up both dogs at 8am, I immediately rang the shop and spoke to his wife, giving very explicit details. She was really thankful because afterall they just want to do what you as the owner wants. I think it depends on the dogs hair. Our boy has very very straight hair, has never been clipped really short, has always just had trims. His hair goes pretty much in the same direction and he doesn't matt too much. Our female however is a different story. We adopted her from the pound when she was 2 and I'm not sure if she had been shaved or not but her coat was a total mess and we are still trying to recover it. Her hair grows in what seems like a million different directions, grows really really long and just doesn't seem to sit tidy.It is also very thick and heavy. I am dead against shaving but we wanted it shorter for the summer. The groomer suggested and used a #7 on her and we were/are delighted. She looks like a gorgeous teddy bear. On both dogs she trimmed their ears, under their feet, the fringe on the back of front and back legs and tidied up the tail. We like the hair on top of the feet so she just trimmed that too, instead of shaving it all off. She also tidied up and trimmed the hair around their bottoms but didn't shave it off. I still really like my cavs to look like cavs. Will try and find some before and after shots of stella in particular. Its a big difference!