Scared Of Clicker

Hi Everyone,

I have just starting using a clicker and we are going through the click and reward stage.

Turns out Abby is quite scared of the clicker.

At first she was ok, she just jumped but still took treats out of my hand (she is a very food oriented dog). Now she runs away. :rofl:

I have tried higher value rewards (chicken instead of cheese), and I have done the same thing to my almost bombproof older girl in front of her. (She loves it by the way, thinks it's the greatest thing lol :) )

No change and I don't want to push it. Besides, aren't I rewarding her for jumping at the sound even when I do get her to take the reward?

She isn't afraid of a pen clicker (I was curious, so I tried). :cheer:

What can I do to overcome this? Should I just use a voice marker at this stage? Should I run outside and have a game with her whilst someone clicks in the background get her used to the sound?

I hate seeing her run away from me. :hug:

I am going to ring my trainer tonight as well, but I was just wondering if you guys had any experience with this.

Edited for punctuation

Edited by Emmala

Is it a box clicker or an I-click?, the i-clicks aren' as loud.

You could try sitting outside with some really yummy food, click and throw her a peice of food. It doesn't matter if she doesn't come near you and you're not rewarding anything, you are just teaching her that click means food.

If you feel the noise bothers her to much there is nothing wrong with charging a verbal marker the same way, pick a nice short word like 'yes' or 'good'.

Is it a box clicker or an I-click?, the i-clicks aren' as loud.

You could try sitting outside with some really yummy food, click and throw her a peice of food. It doesn't matter if she doesn't come near you and you're not rewarding anything, you are just teaching her that click means food.

If you feel the noise bothers her to much there is nothing wrong with charging a verbal marker the same way, pick a nice short word like 'yes' or 'good'.

Thanks Pax, I'll try the sitting down outside method and see how we go.

It's a box clicker, it really is quite loud. I will look into I-clickers. Are they digital or run on batteries, or are they just quieter?

I'll see how we go, but if it is too much for her, I will go with a verbal marker, maybe until I find an I-clicker and see if that is ok.

Thank you Pax! :)

The rounded design means the i-Clicker is more comfortable for trainers and the big yellow button allows you to Click from a whole range of positions - in the palm of you hand, in your mouth, you can even drop it and it will land ready to be clicked with your foot.

The i-Clicker gives a softer sounding click and you don't need to press very hard to Click. This is a great addition to the tool box of positive trainers.

Edited by PAX

My old boy Max was terrified of the clicker. I couldn't use it around him at all. I got to the point where if he heard it he would run away. It took me ages to click (pardon the pun), that the clicker made a very similar sound to the nail clippers.

My old boy Max was terrified of the clicker. I couldn't use it around him at all. I got to the point where if he heard it he would run away. It took me ages to click (pardon the pun), that the clicker made a very similar sound to the nail clippers.

:) Fortunately Abby enjoys getting her nails clipped, but you had me thinking for a while!

Does anyone know if an I-click (no-name brand I have seen on the vet direct webpage) would fit on a normal wrist band (the coil ones).

Yes I am very uncoordinated, I need a wristband. I have seen the black_dog ones for $12.50 (including postage) but I can get a no name one without wristband for $3.56 or something like that. I already have a wristband that goes with my box clicker.

My old border was terrified of the clicker so I used a verbal marker instead and that worked well. You condition the word the same way you do a clicker by saying it and feeding. I now condition the dogs to both the clicker and a verbal marker.

Does anyone know if an I-click (no-name brand I have seen on the vet direct webpage) would fit on a normal wrist band (the coil ones).

Yes. the click arm coils fit any clicker. The polar paws site has them for sale complete with wrist band. :)

Yes. the click arm coils fit any clicker. The polar paws site has them for sale complete with wrist band. :cheer:

Oh I must be blind. :)

Thank you for all your help guys. Even though it is not the best that she is scared of it, I at least know now that others have experienced the same issue and I am not alone.

We will continue to work on it, and there are always verbal markers.

I have actually heard of a trainer using a ball point pen and clicking the top up and down with a really sound sensitive dog.

You can also take a 'traditional clicker', drill a hole in the back and insert a screw - needs to fit fairly tight.

By turning the screw around and putting varied degrees of pressure on the 'clicker plate' you can control the volume of the resulting click. (hope that makes sense)

Whatever you decide to use, make sure that you use something that your dog is absolutely crazy about to pair as a reward, especially when introducing it.

Good Luck!

This is a great addition to the tool box of positive trainers.

Although I personally don't commonly train with a clicker, it doesn't have to be a good addition to only the tool box of "positive trainers" ..... can also apply to "balanced trainers" as well and be used where its purpose suits the dog and the training exercise the best. ;)

Emmala ..... as always, we implement what suits the dog the best. You don't have to use the clicker - as said by Pax, the clicker is only a reward marker and if a verbal (eg) "Yes" has optimal effect, then that might be your tool of choice for your dog.

Edited by Erny

Emmala, imho I would get far away from that clicker and use your voice. A voice marker is just as good and I think better in many instances. Why do you feel you must use a clicker when the dog finds it aversive? I would not use that sort of aversive in training when the dog is trying to learn. That is my advice. In saying this don't think I am anti-clicker. I use what works best for each animal. For me, I would not use a clicker for most of my dog's training at all as I prefer the bond of using my voice. I just work better that way. BUT... I have just used a clicker to solve a stays problem with my dog that has worked brilliantly!!! The clicker can be a great tool and I am not anti-its use at all. But if your dog doesn't like it then steer away from it, at least in the short term would be m y advice ;)

Arya .... you've expressed my sentiments also, although you set them out far more clearly than my vague notion of doing so above.

Use the tool that works for the dog, rather than trying to make it work. Otherwise, it's a bit like trying for a square peg in a round hole and can cause ramifications in training in the meantime.

This is a great addition to the tool box of positive trainers.

Although I personally don't commonly train with a clicker, it doesn't have to be a good addition to only the tool box of "positive trainers" ..... can also apply to "balanced trainers" as well and be used where its purpose suits the dog and the training exercise the best. :happydance2:

Erny,

That is what was part of the info add for the clicker from the site/link i posted.

Thanks guys.

Arya and Erny, that does put a another perspective on things. I have just started at a new club (basic obedience, and agility) and I guess I was really excited about the new approach.

Having said that, a yes has been working very well with Abby and she loves her food so I can see a verbal marker working well.

I suppose I rushed into it thinking it was the be all and end all. My trainer seems pretty clued up so even though I didn't catch her tonight, I will speak to her as soon as she is free and discuss this with her. I get the impression that she is very much into tailoring for an individual dog's needs (and owner's).

Plus I just don't the idea of her being freaked out I guess. :happydance2:

Thanks again guys, I'll still with verbal markers for the time being. :o

Guest Steph & Bam

Hi Em, if you want quieter clicker, I have a digital 'Clicker Plus' by Karen Pryor here, not being used anymore, I've only tried it once, but it wasn't as effective for Bam compared to the i-Click. It has four different sounds with two volumes for each sound. It has a finger strap (but can have a wrist strap attached) you can have it if you can pay for the postage :happydance2: It has a 'Ping', 'Chirp', 'Beep' or a 'Click'.

What the others are saying about voice markers makes a lot of sense, I use both my voice and the clicker, because I don't always have the clicker with me, but it's really useful when i'm teaching a new trick or action.

ETA: Bam is scared of the standard box clickers too, but doesn't mind the i-click at all or the low volume click from the digital one...

Edited by Steph & Bam