Serious Car Sickness

mocha

I've used Maxolon with good success for dogs travelling long distances.

Also, some dogs do grow out of travel sickness, you just have to clean up the mess in the mean time.

Unfortunately Maxolon only comes in one strength. I can't find my paediatric pharmacoepia but another ref gives a dose of 0.1mg/kg, very hard to do for a pup. Sorry.

I've found Ive been able to reduce the amount of Maxlon I give Riley too. To start off with the vet recommended 1 tablet for his weight, but I can use half a tablet now. He's about 28 kgs

Edited by wagsalot

I have had many a poodle puppy with car sickness. Like many I have tried all of the above with little or no success until I used Maxalon. It is safe to use on the little guys, they do not get drowsy and I have found it helps them to grow out of the sickness. I used to have a litter of 3 ooey, gooey and spewey they were shocking. Drooling and vomiting everywhere. I had to take them to QLD from NSW in the car and was beside myself just thinking about the poor ittle guys being so sick for so long. After speaking to my vet he suggested the maxalon. I gave it to the 3 kids (just 3 months old at the time) and they were fine. The travelled up and back on the tablets with no problems what so ever. I continued to use the maxalon until they were about 6 months old as they were show dogs and by this time they were more comfortable with the travelling and over the travel sickness. I still have ooey and gooey and they both love the car and travel well.

Personally I would go to the vet and ask for maxalon. If you have to travel a distance why not make the trip as pleasurable as possible for both you and your dog?

Years ago my 2 dogs suffered from car sickness. When we got another car, the sickness stopped. The first car was a Nissan Pulsar and then we got a Commodore station wagon.

One day one of them went for a ride in my friends smaller car and was sick again.

I have no idea why.

Junket tablets were my saviour with my worst chucker, she was a real :laugh: machine. Just a tip though, give at least 2 hrs before travelling, allow only half an hour and you'll end up with Junket all over your car seats. It's a pudding base and works by setting the stomach contents into a gel, no liquid to eject that way. You find it in the puddings and deserts aisle at the supermarket, IIRC the plain flavour is hard to get now.

I recall a post on a similar thread ages ago, that person used ginger snap biscuits to good effect. My Collie bitch is a drooler and does chuck if the trip gets too windy, she seems to be OK if I have the male in the back seat with her. The back seat buddy has helped as it gives them both more stretching room, being comfortable helps I think.

Good luck!

Corine

Sometimes you can train them Let the dog sit in the car - when it's not moving. Do this a few times. Then take her for short trips, up the road and back. Give her a liver treat before you go, and one when you get home. Often they are sick because they are worried about the trip and what's at the end of it - ie, the vet. Or bad things happening. Always make a car trip like a walk - a very happy, exciting event. Simply retrain and anxiety away, and all should be good.

If it is motion sickness, being able to see will help and move around. And you will probably need to medicate.

thanks guys, Momo (the car sick dog) did very well on Sunday (a 2 hrs trip) and he didn't throw up at all.... (after 1 week's practice) :eek:

I didn't give him anything to eat and "forced" him to have a bit of ginger tablet.

I played with him for 30 mins before getting him into the car, and then played with him again for 15 mins before driving.

he was tired and then I started the engine and opened all windows. Put some peppermint oil in the car. and didn't allow him to look outside through the side windows.

i got some medicine from the vet (tiny yellow tablets...not sure what that is) just in case he is not well...but he did great throughout the trip. He slept most of the time in the car which made things very easy.

Anyway, thank you for all your advices!!!!

IMHO I'd be using Maxalon before I'd use a sedative.

I don't see the point of knocking your dog out when you don't have too, unless of course your dog hates the car and gets really stressed about it)

Edited by wagsalot

one of my small dogs used to get badly sick every car trip. One time I was out shopping and I found a nifty gadget called a puppy booster seat. It is like a car seat for little dogs. It folds down into a small suitcase and that is the base for the seat. It has a padded seat with a netting front to it, a loop to clip to a harness or collar and it puts the dog up at window height. She never got sick again. I've never had to use drugs on her (or the others) just got them up to window height.

The booster seat has loops on it that allow it to be held in place with the seat belt so it is very safe.

one of my small dogs used to get badly sick every car trip. One time I was out shopping and I found a nifty gadget called a puppy booster seat. It is like a car seat for little dogs. It folds down into a small suitcase and that is the base for the seat. It has a padded seat with a netting front to it, a loop to clip to a harness or collar and it puts the dog up at window height. She never got sick again. I've never had to use drugs on her (or the others) just got them up to window height.

The booster seat has loops on it that allow it to be held in place with the seat belt so it is very safe.

any chance of posting a pic plzzzzzzzzzzz

thank you

Carabelle - why weren't you keen on Maxalon?

Hi Wagsalot, sorry I just read your response. I really don't like giving anything not natural to my dogs, that is the only reason really. Once my dog was sick walking to get into the car lol! I do think it is a nervous reaction in him, he came to us at 2 years old and had not been well treated, and the family was constantly moving house. He is mostly sick on the journey out not on the journey home as we feel he is worried that he is being taken away from us, when he gets home he is so excited and runs around the house barking and jumping everywhere, he is a really sweet dog, pity he hates car travel - but we did title him (he had to wear special travelling suit and snood to shows) and now he is retired so does not travel much these days for which he is very grateful I'm sure.

Good luck with fixing the problem Mocha, I just read ahead about the tablets.

Edited by carabelle