My Itchy German Shepherd

Chipper

Just wandering if Spring is the time to itch!!!!!!! Duke is obviously losing his coat at the moment but he is scratching A LOT !!! And he is getting some goopy eyes.

Could it be allergies?

He doesn't have fleas, his skin isn't red at all but he is scratching. At first I thought he was itchy because his hair was coming out but now the goopy eyes. Ears are fine.

Is there a home remedy I could use for him ie. fish oil etc or should i choof him to the Vet?

Edited by GSD Mum

I second the fish oil.

Get rid of all the dead coat, too- I'm not sure what brush/ comb is best for a GSD, sorry.

I know I find pollen in my dog's coats, so brushing and combing it out helps.

One of my dogs has slightly gunky eyes (normally clear)- someone here suggested a used, cooled tea bag was good for cleaning eyes (don't know myself). I just use a warm wet tissue.

A hydrobath and force dry would blow off a lot of that dead coat, too.

If the itchies get really out of hand, I'd try an antihistamine from the vet. They sometimes prescribe steroids, but I'd only give it if my dog was demented with the itch (effective drug, but lots of side effects).

My dog just got gunky eyes too - maybe something to do with all the pollen flying around at the moment. Anyway got some eye ointment from the vet for her and he also said I could use visco drops at night. Think thats the name - just normal human eye drops. Double check with your vet though - wouldn't like to be passing on bad advice.

My dog just got gunky eyes too - maybe something to do with all the pollen flying around at the moment.

And the dust too.

My spaniel used to get gunky eyes & our vet said as a rule of thumb they should look better in about three days with being wiped or else we should bring him in to check for infection.

Well I got some Omega 3 oil today and started it. And now my son has goopy eyes so I went to the CHemist to get something for him and asked the Pharmacist if it would be safe for Duke. He told me there would be no problems using it on him, so I bought 2!!! The cream is called Brolene and it is for mild conjuctivitis.

I gave him a bath yesterday and a damn good brushing with the FURMINATOR !!!!!!!!

Does anyone have one of these? Absolutely THE BEST grooming tool for anyone with a German SHEDDER !!!!!!!!!!! :mad