Possible Syringomyelia In Cavalier Puppy

kezza

Hi, I have a 5 month old cavalier and i was wondering if any one had any up to date information on Syringomelia. I am probably just stressing about nothing but she has started itching her neck area off and on. I have used flea medication as i thought it might by fleas but the itching is still ongoing. She comes from a very good breeder. Do many cavaliers in Australia suffer with this condition ?. Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks Kezza

There was a thread on Syringomyelia just 3 or 4 weeks ago. Use the search facility on the forum and the info should come up for you.

Do you cut that greyish soft hair under/behind the ears. That mats up so quickly. I know if my cavs scratch I get the brush and comb out and usually will find a small mat under and behind the ear.

Edited by cavNrott

Hi Kezza, The scratching is most likely just scratching...... SM is not something we see a lot of. I've had Cavaliers for over 20 years and in that time I have heard of only a few who may have SM. By all means ask your breeder about it and do some research. Some dogs do just scratch though.

I would suggest contacting the Cavalier Club of NSW about it.They will be able to advice you on what SM is truley about & how to diagnosis correctly.

You also need to inform the breeder the dog is scratching & she what they suggest.

Testing has started in Oz & there is a world conference in Scotlan i believe at the end of the month as this is a problem often misunderstood,wrong;y diagnosed

Does puppy wear a collar??

If so have you tried taken collar off as some dogs will scratch madly with collars on if there to fancy or have lots of diamenti things,even the council tags can be annoying.

Edited by showdog

ooh i do hope all is ok

please let us know

it is apparently in the lines and also in yorkies and bedlingtons..so a breeder told me

its awful and hopefully ur dear cav hasnt got it

i know someone who has two dogs affected by it