Desexing Female And Second Vaccination

chloebear

My vet is wanting to complete second vaccination and then week later desex my 4 month old female puppy does anyone know if this can be done at the same time? we live out of town so I would prefer to make one trip than two. I don't know if this makes a difference but Holly is a rescue dog, and I have assumed that prior to getting her so had none of her vaccinations so I treated her as a new puppy with no previous vet treatments.

Back in my day of nursing we always did them seperately due to the anaesthetic. Most people get the sutures taken out at the vet and the vaccination can be done then if not prior to desexing.

ETA: Although I know of a lot of vets who will do everything in one hit (particularly vets doing rescue dogs), but my own vet won't and I choose to do seperately as well. :confused:

Edited by Dru

Back in my day of nursing we always did them seperately due to the anaesthetic. Most people get the sutures taken out at the vet and the vaccination can be done then if not prior to desexing.

ETA: Although I know of a lot of vets who will do everything in one hit (particularly vets doing rescue dogs), but my own vet won't and I choose to do seperately as well. :confused:

Thanks, I didn't even think about needing to get the stiches taken out. I guess because when I had my last c-section I was taped together (what a shock) no stiches to come out I didn't even give the stiches a second thought.

I have had a dog vacc whilst under simply because he is terrified of needles & as he was getting his teeth cleaned & he was relaxed there was less chance of problems.This is a super friendly showdog but can not deal with needles

Yes you can get the vacc done at the same time as desexing......We regulary do this for both rescue dogs and 'owned' dogs we also do what is known as the works -desex,vacc and chip all at once.

The bonus of having the vacc and/or chip done while they are under GA is they don't know it's being done and it's less painful for them.

We have had NO adverse effects doing this from as young as 8 weeks.