Belle (1990 - 2007)

Kavik

I just found out that Belle, the family dog, was PTS in the USA. :thumbsup: She was 17 years old. She was diagnosed with cancer 7 months ago, and lived longer than predicted by the vet.

I am still deciding on a memorial for her - open to suggestions.

This is her story:

When we moved here from the USA I had to leave Kavik, my Schipperke behind. My parents said I could get another dog in Australia. I was 11 years old. Once we settled here, we started the search for a dog. My mother loves Cocker Spaniels, and we'd had one in the States, and she suggested another one. I didn't want something with long hair. I wanted a GSD, but my parents aren't keen on big dogs. Actually my stepdad isn't keen on dogs full stop!

My mother didn't want a purebred apart from a cocker, and we scoured the papers looking at ads (don't know why we didn't look at a shelter). My mum found an ad for Cocker cross pups for $35, and insisted we look. Sure enough, there was a little black pup with short hair! So we took her home, and christened her Belle.

Belle was the first dog I attempted to train. We went to Manly and Districts, and got to class 2, right before Novice. She preferred tricks though, and would have loved agility if I'd known about it when she was young. Belle's talents were: a love of food! She was a food thief, would steal food off the table, and could open the lid of any type of rubbish bin we owned. I came home many times to rubbish strewn all over the house. She was also an escape artist. She could jump 6 foot fences, open a heavy sliding glass door, slip past tradespeople. She was often waiting for me outside when I got home from school.

One of the most remarkable things about Belle was how she changed my stepdad. He doesn't like dogs, prefers cats. He put up with the dogs, though he did complain about them. This was drastically reduced after the acquisiition of the Evil Beagle though! When I moved out of home, Belle was 13 years old, an I thought it would be nicer for her to stay where she was used to, as I would be renting and she would have to be outside, and she was used to being inside a lot. I took Zoe with me though, who was 4.

When my parents decided to go the USA for a few years, they decided to take Belle with them. My stepdad by this point was quite fond of Belle and was known to feed her and even take her for walks! He ended up being the one to accompany her on the flight to the USA and even got her a bigger crate than originally purchased for her comfort.

After a long walk which she enjoyed, Belle had problems walking and standing yesterday, and my stepdad and sister took her to the vet for their goodbyes. Unfortunately being on the other side of the world, I could not be there for her. So I wish Belle well, she had a long and happy life, plenty of walks, children to play with, other dogs to bark at.

post-489-1192934992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kavik

Belle reminds me of my girl Reo. May Belle be playing with Reo while they wait for us :D

Reo was also a Cocker X and I got her in 1974. She was much too young less than 6 weeks old. www.webdogs.com.au/memories/reo/reo.html. If you look her up I think you will see a lot of Belle in her. She was my heart dog. I just adored her. I still miss her.

I have no idea about a memorial, apart from framing a favourite photograph.

I'm sorry to hear of Belle's passing. It must be hard knowing that you didn't get to say goodbye but I'm sure she understood. She was clearly a much-loved family pet :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for the well wishes. Belle was a very sweet and very clever dog who often managed to outsmart us - that is what I will remember the most I think :thumbsup: She was also a very healthy dog who had few health problems until she got older.