Cleaning Ears

huski

When Cooper had an ear infection he would take off when he saw the bottle and try every avoidance trick in the book, but I would just call him back and he would sit and deal with it :rofl:

But, I use baby wipes for general cleaning, just wiping the inside of the ear flap and around the start of the ear canal. Most dog I find enjoy this :rofl:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a little bit of olive oil on the cotton wool first, let her see it and sniff it, then gently clean the outer ear and flap. It may take quite a few times to gain her trust but most have to sniff it eventually, from there you can build her up to letting you put the drops in. I find Scent Hounds settle better when they have been given the chance to investigate and sniff it out first. Much easier to turn into a pleasant experince afterwards with a tiny treat and lots of praise.

This is what a vet told me to do years ago. It's always worked well. I warm the olive oil up in a small bowl and after I clean their ears they get to slurp up the remains.

They start drooling as soon as they see the cotton balls. :eek:

Seriously, though, it might work for Daisy, as it may make it more pleasurable for her.

Mum and I tried all last night to rub some cotton wool along the outside of Daisy's ear - not even putting anything inside it.

As soon as she realised we wanted to touch her ears, she ran into her crate and would not come out. We lured her out with food but she wouldn't get near us. I put her collar and lead on and we tried to hold her down - she is one strong beagle!!!

She won't even let me touch her ears when I am patting her she is so paranoid I will put something in them :eek: She is not being aggressive or growly, she just squirms until she can run away.

I am going to call the vet today as I am worried she might be so touchy because her ears are sore due to an infection :D

I am a bit worried as she and Micha are going away to a boarding kennel tomorrow for a week whilst our house is renovated and I won't be able to keep an eye on it.

Just got back from the vet, as soon as the vet lifted Daisy's ear she wouldn't stay still and he could not even exam her. The infection was worse than I thought, the vet has had to sedate her and is going to clean/flush her ears out. I won't be able to pick her up for another couple of hours so I hope it all goes ok :confused:

Poor Daisy. :confused:

Hope she feels better after they are cleaned and you have medication for her - at a guess.

Sje will be ok and when they are infection free you can start to desensitise her.

The bugger is that she will be going to a boarding kennel for a week tomorrow, so I can't keep an eye on it. I took her to the vet today as I didn't want to leave it another week.

I don't think the vet would have sedated her etc if she had been a bit easier to get ear drops in, he said she needs them twice a day for a week but obviously that is going to be physically impossible at the moment.

I just can't believe how badly her "fear" of her ears being cleaned got so quickly, she has only recently become this difficult to do.

Oh, you'll be glad to have that over and done with. She'll feel much better too without all that gunk in her ears.

You may have to continue with drops for a few days though....not what you wanted to hear I bet. We had to do that after Sophie's ears were flushed out but we've never had any ear problems since and that was a couple of years ago.

Let us know how she is when you bring her home.

Oh, you'll be glad to have that over and done with. She'll feel much better too without all that gunk in her ears.

You may have to continue with drops for a few days though....not what you wanted to hear I bet. We had to do that after Sophie's ears were flushed out but we've never had any ear problems since and that was a couple of years ago.

Let us know how she is when you bring her home.

Thanks Cavnrott. I have don't mind doing ear drops as long as she doesn't mind them LOL! I am just worried I won't be able to do it properly.

My girl is just as much of a sook! She detests the alcohol based ear cleaners (even thou they work the best!) and any type of ear drop, frontline or topical flea control is also hysterical fun! Luckily my second girl is great! Have spent huge amounts of time getting her used to it but she is extremely quick to work it out when it's the real drops or treatment! My thoughts are with you, it isn't easy but do the best you can. Multiple people usually helps a lot! so does really cool treats!

My girl is just as much of a sook! She detests the alcohol based ear cleaners (even thou they work the best!) and any type of ear drop, frontline or topical flea control is also hysterical fun! Luckily my second girl is great! Have spent huge amounts of time getting her used to it but she is extremely quick to work it out when it's the real drops or treatment! My thoughts are with you, it isn't easy but do the best you can. Multiple people usually helps a lot! so does really cool treats!

LOL!! This is one circumstance where treats are not good enough :confused:

Not even the vet could hold her down today :rofl: :rofl:

For my girl, heaps of people in a clinic couldn't hold her down, but calm voices at home and just my family or myself present and I get much further. She has figured out vets/clinics and ears are scary! Treats only work early in the game, perhaps offer your girl treats just for going near the ear drops or cleaning products which sit on the floor or near a bed of hers.

My girl is a funny one, 5 people couldn't hold her in a vet clinic for bloods and told me how pathetic my dog was! I single handedly collected blood from her in the car!! and have proceeded to collect blood multiple times at home as required, by myself! She just works out the pain/fear factor and then panics! would be funny from the outside thou!!!!

Try the treat thing for just going near the stuff, when he uses his nose and links the ear treatment sitting on the floor with the treats (non stop treats on the floor too) then you may find she is calmer. Then sit with her and the ear cleaner and food. Lots of treats and don't touch the ears until you have to. Then firm restraint (often easier on the floor!) whilst some-one else places the ear drops and then mega cuddles! Good luck!

For my girl, heaps of people in a clinic couldn't hold her down, but calm voices at home and just my family or myself present and I get much further. She has figured out vets/clinics and ears are scary! Treats only work early in the game, perhaps offer your girl treats just for going near the ear drops or cleaning products which sit on the floor or near a bed of hers.

My girl is a funny one, 5 people couldn't hold her in a vet clinic for bloods and told me how pathetic my dog was! I single handedly collected blood from her in the car!! and have proceeded to collect blood multiple times at home as required, by myself! She just works out the pain/fear factor and then panics! would be funny from the outside thou!!!!

Try the treat thing for just going near the stuff, when he uses his nose and links the ear treatment sitting on the floor with the treats (non stop treats on the floor too) then you may find she is calmer. Then sit with her and the ear cleaner and food. Lots of treats and don't touch the ears until you have to. Then firm restraint (often easier on the floor!) whilst some-one else places the ear drops and then mega cuddles! Good luck!

Thanks alanglen :confused: Daisy is so head strong, if she doesn't want to do something she will put up a major fuss! Hopefully we can over come this ear cleaning thing and I can work on desensitising her to it.

I'm a bit late on board, but perhaps have a watch of this video. It is about a dog which has had negative experiences with nail trimming, and the process a trainer goes through to allow his nails to be clipped. :rofl: The ideas here could be applied to Daisy's ears.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bgEwiH8CeUE

Thanks so much for the link Leema. I am watching the video now, it is very helpful!

I am going to pick Daisy up in a minute, will let you all know how she is when she gets home :rofl:

Ok, just got the beagle home :)

According to the vet her ears were chock full of yeast and gunk :rofl: I feel terrible, I should have taken her to the vet earlier, I had no idea it was so bad. He gave me some tablets to help the infection instead of ear drops. I wish she wasn't going to the boarding kennel tomorrow, I want to be able to keep an eye on her. Unfortunately the building work on our house starts on thursday so we don't have much of a choice :rofl: I will be annoying the boarding kennel with calls every day I think :confused:

Edited by husky87

At least they will have been able to get a good clean-out whilst she was asleep! Maybe the kennels is a good move, then she can blame them fo the sore ears and not you! Not the first time that trick has worked! Best of luck.

. I warm the olive oil up in a small bowl and after I clean their ears they get to slurp up the remains.

I hope you don't double dip :thumbsup:

:rofl: NO, no double dipping.

Ok, just got the beagle home :laugh:

According to the vet her ears were chock full of yeast and gunk :love: I feel terrible, I should have taken her to the vet earlier, I had no idea it was so bad. He gave me some tablets to help the infection instead of ear drops. I wish she wasn't going to the boarding kennel tomorrow, I want to be able to keep an eye on her. Unfortunately the building work on our house starts on thursday so we don't have much of a choice :love: I will be annoying the boarding kennel with calls every day I think :rofl:

Poor Daisy ;) But her poor old ears should get better now, fingers crossed.

Good luck with the building works!

At least they will have been able to get a good clean-out whilst she was asleep! Maybe the kennels is a good move, then she can blame them fo the sore ears and not you! Not the first time that trick has worked! Best of luck.

:angel::cry: Aha! I knew there was a reason they were going to a boarding kennel :mad

Poor Daisy :cry: But her poor old ears should get better now, fingers crossed.

Good luck with the building works!

Yeah, I think she feels much better now her ears are clean.

Thanks, it will be interesting not having a kitchen for a week :mad

You can use the Malaseb shampoo as an ear cleaner, diluted 1:50 with water.

That's exactly what I use at work to clean ears. Great stuff and also fab if there is any yeast present too. I pre make a bottle each fortnight and off we go. I've had so may clients dogs cease to have ear infections/problems since using this as a regular cleaner a few years back. :angel:

Is that 1 part malaseb to 50% water? then I put the drops in and massage the ears?

Then leave it in?

Lately Godzilla seems to be getting a lot of ear infections, this may help.