Ideas For Giant Breed Vet Visit

I think alanglen's a vet.

Yes, a bit harsh, but some good points, too.

A friend is a vet and is driven to despair by people trying to save money- he reckons many people will PTS a young dog with excellent prospects of recovery, rather than spend $200. Often the $200 is for medication etc. that the vet can't just do for free for the sake of the dog. Not saying saintlysusan is like this at all, but perhaps alanglen has had similar experiences :confused:

I think because of Medicare and the PBS, we are sheltered from the true cost of medical care for us, so vet care prices come as a shock.

I feel it's my responsibility as an owner to be able to control my dog to be examined.

OK, I don't have a 70kg dog. My biggest dog is only 25kg, but he allowed the vet to dislocate his kneecaps without drama (zero sedation).

Part of the training I do is that they'll stand, sit, drop, stay and tolerate being touched all over, including paws and ears.

I was very aware of the extra costs of a large breed (let alone a giant breed!) dog.

Vet care as well as any tick/flea/ heartworm preventatives, bedding, food etc.

Many, many great vets out there, but like any profession some are better than others.

Good luck with it all saintlysusan :rofl:

So control your dog and ask the vet to play after the examination. Why is there an issue here? Speak up, if you are willing to bag your vet on the internet you must feel strongly so take your dog to the vet, control it, and politely ask the vet to play afterwards, the vet is not going to care. Mind you I doubt that the play alone is enough to make any dog "need sedation". Many dogs need sedation for ear examinations and that's a fact of life. Cut your nice vet a break and get real.

You dont think play alone is a valid reason? All I want is him to be calm and he thinks its totally required incase he moves whole hes doing the ear inspection which is why I asked, I think its overkill abit.

Feel free not to reply if all you are going to give me is the 3rd degree, I dont feel I disserve that.

Maybe i should remove hte name of the vet.

However i have found cardinia great.

I also do not have 70kg dogs but i prefer them over main st.

That is just my opinion though.

I have never had the vet at either rough the dogs up. They have patted them and cuddled but never revved them up.

Otherwise try the one on racecourse road.

Yep I'm a vet and yes I would reccomend any dog that couldn't be restrained adequately to have sedation for ears to avoid any risk of causing damage to their ear drums. Yes I have been harsh but see it from our point of view, how harsh are you being, you don't want your vet being freindly to your dog?! Madness. As for the costing, you have accused your vet of being that money hungry, that they would intentionally rev up your dog to get the measly few dollars that they would make after paying for the sedation drug required for a 70kg dog, it's a pretty nasty accusation.

Read the notes about the rotti posted above, extremely sensible and makes the pet health care team (you and your vet) have a chance to succeed.

As for me giving you the third degree, I haven't, that would involve asking you questions which i have not. Perhaps you should give your vet a chance after speaking to them and considering how petty all this really sounds, yes I would refrain from mentioning the vets name, poor vet, they probably thought they were being nice!