Out Of Focus Background

hopenfox

Maybe try having a larger aperture opening?

From memory, the smaller the aperture opening, the more is included in the focus.

With a larger opening, the 'depth of field' is a lot narrower, so the main object is all that is in focus.

This opening has numbers , preceded by an F..eg F3.2 (widest opening), F22(narrowest opening)

If you do reduce the aperture to a 5.6 or 3.2..you will need to INCREASE the shutter speed, or there will be way too much light coming in to 'overexpose ' the pic.

practise on something ouside... play with the aperture numbers... and the exposure times/shutter speeds! take a couple of pics on each setting..then have a look on your puter, and see which ones give you the effect you like most :D

also..having an F stop of F8 or higher usually gives a crisper,clearer photo.. altho you get more background.

*Bella* GREAT pics :eek:

Edited by persephone

On behalf of Hopenfox, I believe she has an excellent Ricoh point and shoot camera and won't be able to adjust aperture.

Hopenfox, you need to do what I did and buy a digital SLR camera to get blurry background shots :confused:, then follow Persephone's instructions on aperture.

My Ricoh P&S takes excellent macro photos with blurry backgrounds, but I couldn't get normal pictures with a blurry background.

On behalf of Hopenfox, I believe she has an excellent Ricoh point and shoot camera and won't be able to adjust aperture.

Hopenfox, you need to do what I did and buy a digital SLR camera to get blurry background shots :thumbsup:, then follow Persephone's instructions on aperture.

My Ricoh P&S takes excellent macro photos with blurry backgrounds, but I couldn't get normal pictures with a blurry background.

How disappointing Purple Julie! I was so hoping there would be a way (using the different focus options maybe) for me to blur the backgrounds using my camera (it's a Ricoh Caplio R30). Hopefully one day I can afford a digital SLR...

Thanks for that info persephone, I'm sure it will come in handy for me one day (and for others here).

Really nice photos *Bella* - that's exactly what I would like mine to look like.

hopenfox, the only other thing to do is edit your photos once on your computer.

This is not a good shot but works well to show how editing can be your friend

before (raw shot)

Picture032.jpg

after (edited to blur back ground)

Picture0322.jpg

Good luck with your search to finding what you want.

I was so hoping there would be a way (using the different focus options maybe) for me to blur the backgrounds using my camera (it's a Ricoh Caplio R30).

My Ricoh Caplio G4 doesn't have focus options, so I don't know about them. Maybe there is something that you could do with them and still have hope that you will get nice blurry backgrounds. Otherwise, take macro photos of your dogs body parts, eg. eye, ear, paw, blade of fur, etc!

Freckles - How did you go about blurring the background by editing? (Step-by-step instructions would be great!)

Purple Julie - It's not the same! I actually tried taking a macro photo of Fox's head in the hope the background would blur. It did a bit, but not enough...

post-6062-1194048096_thumb.jpg

post-6062-1194048165_thumb.jpg

post-6062-1194048620_thumb.jpg

post-6062-1194048764_thumb.jpg

Ok it was very easy to do that picture and here how I did.

With this photo I used Photoshop elements. On the raw picture I used the lasso to pick out the flower and cut the flower out. I then use the filter option and blur. You can try out a few different types of blur to pick which effect you like most. I used Gaussian Blur there, then paste the flower back over the top. So the back ground was blurred and the flower stays nice and clear. I did reduce the size of the background a touch so the flower went back on without having cut edges showing, but only enough so it still looks natural. Then merge the layers and you're done.

Was that clear enough? Oh this same method works in a number of editing programs, Also when using the lasso use the magnetic lasso it picks out the edges almost automatically and neater than I can doing it by tracing free hand :thumbsup:

Good luck

Edited by Freckles

This is the one I took with the macro setting;

Is this the sort of effect you are looking for? This was two levels of blurring, you can keep going until its undefinable mush if you want :laugh:

post-11998-1194502068_thumb.jpg

I did it in Photoshop CS using the blur tool, very easy, just selected the blur tool and brushed it over the background avoiding the dog.

ETA - only problem is to buy Photoshop CS3 it costs nearly as much as my camera did, so you'd be better putting the $$ on a Digital SLR :rofl:

8-9.jpg

Edited by *Bella*

To get this effect you really need to be shooting with a very fast shutter speed and a low F-stop setting (wide aperture). I have a fixed focus 50mm lens that stops down to F1.8 which is great for the depth of field effect.

IMG_9193-01.jpg?t=1195078377

IMG_8500-01.jpg

It always helps to be physically closer to the subject you would like in-focus as well. If you are miles away, the effect will be reduced.

Edited by Rainey

What beautiful shots Rainey! I have been trying to get a 50mm on Ebay for a while, but they always go over my price range. After seeing these I'm going back to look. The lowest F-Stop I can get on either of my lenses is 4.5.