Human Or Pet Grade Raw Meat

Two actually :thumbsup: They are at my friends place - we buy the meat between us. She has two big chest freezers. She usually has around 8 dogs and I have 2-3 at my place, so between us the meat lasts us a few months. I just take what i need home whenever i'm over there. We also buy the carcasses whole from there as well - they take up a bit more room in the freezers - but great for the dogs to chomp on!

Buying in lots of this size is the only way to go to save a good amount of money!

Sandgrubber:
I disagree that dogs need more fat then humans. A "balanced" dogfood is 13% fat max. The nutritionists are on about getting human diets down below 30% fat. I would rather feed lean pet grade mince than fatty human grade hamburger. If you have a breed that doesn't put on weight, it may be a different matter.

Studies have proven that working and performance dogs do well on a diet of up to 30% fat.. sled dogs being one of the better known examples. Dogs that tired or tyed up on a diet high in carbs performed far better on a diet high in fat. Horses are the same. Carbs give instant, and fat gives longer lasting energy to dogs. There also appear to be benefits for more sedentary dogs including more regular heat cycles and better whelping rates, better skin condition and hair quality.

There are also studies showing the benefits of a diet high in fat to dogs suffering from cancer. Fat, not carbohydrate is the primary source of energy for dogs.

Is that 30% of calories from fat (in line with recommendations for human diets), or 30% of food weight as fat. If 30% of food weight is fat, around 54% of calories would be fat, which I think is excessive.

But then . . . I have Labs, who are notable in their ability to convert fat to fat.

In the kennel, I find that a lot of breeds refuse chicken with a lot of fat on it, but happily eat it when it is trimmed.

As for "there are also studies . . . " I'd like to see something less vague. Cancers are highly variable. When my mother was dying of pancreatic cancer they told us to encourage her to eat all the fatty food she wanted, in expectation of a day when she would not be able to eat and digest fat, with the hope of building up reserves. That doesn't mean that high fat is good, say, for breast cancer.

I try and make sure the protein content is well above the fat content (by weight) . . . and carbs low.

Sandgrubber:

Is that 30% of calories from fat (in line with recommendations for human diets), or 30% of food weight as fat. If 30% of food weight is fat, around 54% of calories would be fat, which I think is excessive.

To the best of my understanding, it's the first Sandgrubber. That's one of the reasons why the additon of EFA's while low in volume, boosts the percentage of raw fats in a dog's diet so effectively.

kangaroo meat is fantastic for them but unfortunately full of preservatives unless u know where to get fresh kill,if u get it from ur gourmet end of the butcher its too expensive

rabbit is also good but u can onky get farmed rabbit at the butcher and that has all the the disadvantages of a chicken only diet...if ur gonna shoor ur own bunnies ...eeeeek....thats the only way to get good rabbit meat

thats not been mucked round with

i reckon if u buy cheaper mince at the supermarket ur getting the crappy fatty stuff anyway ....

petmince should be ok ...it is sold in butchers and they have strict laws..cant keep anything that is below standard anywhere that human grade meat is kept....thats fine with me ( just wish butchers washed their hands after using the toilet!!!! and b4serving the public!! there was a health notice sent to all staff in a shopping centre that i got wind of ...errrrrk fancy having to teach them that when theyre in the food industry ,...grosserama)

The pet mince from the local butcher here, I wouldn't feed to a dog! Luckily I asked to see it before I bought it - it was the most revolting, slimey, smelly, runny muck I've ever seen! I know the 'roo meat from the pet meat shop here doesn't have preservatives.

Thanks guys for all your ideas and experiences, We buy all our beef mince, kangaroo mince, chicken necks, frames, carcasses and bones in bulk from a good pet food store, I was a little unsure after what the vet asked but the majority of you's appear happy with pet grade.. I will however keep a look out in the supermarkets for specials on lean mince.

Along with every one else in here I just want the best for my boys starting with their diet, I am happy with their diet at the moment, they are doing really well.

Thank you all

BnB