Recommendations For New Camera

Rysup

I want a new digital camera. A good one. I want to be able to do nice dog photos, but also use it for everyday photo taking too.

Ideally I would like one that takes SD memory cards as I have a bundle and prefer not to have to buy new memory cards for it.

I would also not mind one that you can manually focus - my current digital is auto only and I find when I am trying to do close up shots, it just focuses on the background.

And my current camera is SLOW, which is so painful for taking photos of wiggly puppies. I want something that is fast. But also easy to use.

Any suggestions please?

Like megapixels, optical zoom etc. What's the best?

Thanks guys!

Are you after a digital compact camera or a digital SLR camera?

I love my Canon 400D DSLR. I love that I can put it on auto and get great shots, yet there is heaps of manual functions to play with. But it takes Compact Flash cards (they are cheap though)

Here's a pic I took on auto

1-28.jpg

This is a pic I took on manual, at night, on the very first day of getting the camera with no idea of what I was doing

CityatNightcopy.jpg

If it's a digital compact camera you are after, I have heard good things about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 which is a 10.1 MP, 12 Optical Zoom. It takes SD cards

http://panasonic.com.au/products/specifica...m?objectID=3304

We have just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 for our son.

It is a fantastic camera.

Do check around for prices. We saw it at a large camera store for $599 and found it online for $450 including postage, and it was delivered the next day.

Pics are fantastic. It has an amazing zoom.

Forgot to add that price also included a memory card.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

Edited by sigzephyr

I'd go for a 400D too. I got a 350D just before the 400 came out.

If you want to get serious about taking shots, skip the kit 70-200mm lens though, it isn't great at all and talk the sales guy into a discount on a better lens instead.

Edited by Ripley

I have a Cannon ixus which is a great "point and shoot" digital camera, and it fits nicely in my handbag.

I also have a Digital SLR, the Olympus E-410, which is fantastic!

This site has a pretty basic explanation of the differences, it may help you decide which type of camera you need.

http://www.scrapjazz.com/topics/Photograph...ography/411.php

Edited by Kharn

Umm what is the difference between a compact and SLR? Man I feel blonde <VBG>

SLRs have interchangeable lenses and more manual functions such as aperture and shutter speed, though I *think* that some compacts have some manual settings (rather vague, I know!).

I have a Pentax K100D Super, it is a digital SLR and it takes SD cards. It is very good and costs about $700.

Edit: Typo!

Edited by Purple Julie

thanks to everyone who responded!! You have given me a good starting point, now I have to do some reading! I think I'd like an SLR though a high end compact may also do what I want. Have not used a normal SLR for a few years now, but having the option would be good as well.

thanks to everyone who responded!! You have given me a good starting point, now I have to do some reading! I think I'd like an SLR though a high end compact may also do what I want. Have not used a normal SLR for a few years now, but having the option would be good as well.

If you're after a good quality compact I highly recommend the Canon IXUS 850 IS. I have had several compact or point and shoot cameras of varying brands, and I have found that Canon make some of the BEST cameras.

I purchased a 350D when they first came out upgrading from a Canon Powershot S60 (compact), and loved it.

I recently purchased the IXUS because I am going to Canada for Christmas to visit family, and wanted something smaller but without losing the quality and manual settings that i got with the 350D. I researched for ages and decided that this was the best thing. The IXUS also has some fantastic functions which come in handy if you're lazy, or not sure what settings to have: eg snow, indoors, night etc etc. The biggest plus is that you can do macro, and good macro.

Taken with the IXUS:

1913165247_b26ca64d49_m.jpg

Motherly Love

Taken with the 350D:

242174997_2203bcdf79_m.jpg

Tug-o-war

I have a Canon 400D now, but my first digital was a fuji finepix S5000 (still have it) and I took it overseas with a wide lens, and up to Darwin, also had a friend take it to Darwin and get great shots too. It's only 4mp 10x zoom so it's a bit ancient now but it takes nice still and macro shots.

I have been very tempted to get the fuji upgrade as a point and shoot as it's so easy and 9.5 times out of ten you get great shots with it. I also like the chunkiness of it.

Mel.

You are probably right, though not sure we can afford to go that high. Would I be better getting a cheaper SLR or an expensive compact? Who'd have thought it would be so hard to pick!!

Also what do people prefer - AA batteries or the ones that can only be recharged?

You are probably right, though not sure we can afford to go that high. Would I be better getting a cheaper SLR or an expensive compact? Who'd have thought it would be so hard to pick!!

Also what do people prefer - AA batteries or the ones that can only be recharged?

Cheaper SLR would be better. There is nothing lacking in the quality of the Pentax K100D Super - all the expert reviews say that. It is just as good as the dearer SLRs I think.

I prefer cameras which take AA size batteries - that includes the NiMH rechargeables. So you can use regular AA batteries or rechargeable NiMHs.