Vca Herding

Hi Everyone,

I have just discovered that my two Border Collie girls love herding. (Well running around after sheep, not really what I would call herding) They seem to be really interested and to me and a couple of people that have seen them, they seem to have a bit of hidden talent.

So I was just wondering if anyone does VCA herding. I am interested in getting involved but do not have sheep to train on. I was wondering if anyone west of Melbourne (I am in Werribee) does herding though the VCA, where they train, how they got involved and any other information that may help.

I understand that herding costs a bit of money but am willing to pay what ever it costs to see my girls happy.

thanks all for your help!!! :thumbsup:

Rachelle, try PMing kelpie-i or looking at 4 paws website as IIRC they do herding lessons & clinics in the Melbourne area. Not sure exactly where (I live in Brisbane) but even if they arent close to you Im sure they could point you in the right direction.

Hope you enjoy yourself, we're happy herders here too :) .

Inspector Rex, I know there is a very good guy called Paul Mcphail (spelling?) somewhere in East Gippsland I think. I think if you contact Bairnsdale dog obedience they might have a contact for him, or someone here would?

Rachelle, I too know Kelpie-i does herding clinics and she is over Diggers Rest way, not that far from Werribee really!!! Her clinics are extremely good and popular too from what I've heard :rofl:

Rachelle we have done the herding through Four Paws, did the initial workshop which is extremely informative and a group of us from Werribee are organising to do it regularly in Diggers Rest if you are interested in joining our group.

Inspector Rex, I know there is a very good guy called Paul Mcphail (spelling?) somewhere in East Gippsland I think.

Paul Macphail is in Welshpool. :rofl:

Rachelle- I have also done the Four Paws herding Clinic at Diggers Rest and it was a great introduction to herding. :cry:

ETA: Inspector Rex, have PM'd you. :cry:

Edited by t(AD)pole

For anyone interested in herding (VIC), you should come along to the discussion night for the new herding rules.

Night 1

Wednesday 7th November

RAS Showgrounds

7.30pm start

Night 2

Wednesday 14th November

Lyndhurst Room, KCC Parke, Skye

7.30pm start

I copied these dates from the vicdog magazine - you can find further details in the mag. It would be a good chance to meet and greet other herding people too :rofl:

Thanks Indi-dog. I will go to the workshop on Wednesday night. I have already attend a workshop by Bernard Arends and started on herding and I am now really looking into getting into VCA herding. I was wanting to get the idea of how the VCA works in regards to their herding trials. In Bernards workshop they are mainly trialing in 3 sheep etc. Thanks all for your help!!!

Inspector Rex, I know there is a very good guy called Paul Mcphail (spelling?) somewhere in East Gippsland I think. I think if you contact Bairnsdale dog obedience they might have a contact for him, or someone here would?

Paul McPhail owns Beloka Kelpie stud. Here is a link to his site:

Beloka Kelpies

Hope that helps! :laugh: