[updated - Akira Is Fine Now] Please Help! Dog Throwing Up

happy.grl

Please help, my dog threw up when I got home today. I put it down to excitement, as he was not able to get to me because the doggy door was locked, and he was barking a lot.

He was fed this morning at about 7.30am, and it was not just bile that he expelled.

He has since thrown up bile another 4 times, once was bright yellow and the other times have been white and frothy.

I've tried to call my vet but they don't have an after hours number.

Should I take him to Lort Smith hospital, or just keep an eye on him.

I was going to give him a small dinner - boiled chicken and maybe some rice, but I'm worried there is something really wrong.

Edited by happy.grl

OK, I hope I don't get flamed. We went to Lort Smith - by the time I had put everything away, gathered the dog, got the OH, moved the car cos someone had parked me into my garage :thumbsup: forty minutes had passed (with no further incidents). As soon as we were out of the car Akira was perky, running and jumping about (still on a very loose leash though Yay for him!) so we decided to wait to see how he was.

It's been 4 hours now and he is back to his normal self.

I'm going to take him past our Vet for a check up though tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.

We have restricted his water intake as well, as I think that may have been part of it as he was drinking a lot, then being sick.

Hope I haven't done the wrong thing by him.......

Guest Robatife BCs

Good luck tomorrow. Dogs can become very dehydrated quickly though so make sure he still has access to some water :thumbsup:

My dogs have been known to vomit after drinking too much water too quick. Thats why you make sure there's water there but not too much at once. They drink it you fill it up. Slows them down a bit.

It could just be a stomach bug, anyways take him to your vet for a check up to make sure everything is ok

I wanted to say a big thank you to all who responded to my posts the other day. I just realised that I hadn't posted an update.

Akira is fine now. I had a good chat at our regular vet who said that a dog throwing up is not that unusual, and that what had probably happened was that he felt off, threw up, drank too much water and threw that up - it then becomes a vicious cycle.

This makes sense - once I had restricted his water he stopped throwing up. I'm really glad that they confirmed that I had done the right thing by giving him small drinks, keeping him on very bland food for a couple of days and monitoring what came out of both ends (eeeew!!)

The cheeky little guy is back to his normal self ;)