Cockers Competing

Hi all,

Out of interest would like to know how many cockers compete in various sports what do they excell in. I know of quite a few in agility(one a top dog), but what about flyball, tracking, gundog working tests, field trials, obedience what is the highest title a cocker has achieved in obedience? And anything else I forgot.

Thanks

Edited by mclennan

My friend's Cocker has her UD title in Obedience and is two passes off her OC. She has a Novice Working Gundog test "title" too.

Another friend's Yankee Cocker has got the Novice Working Gundog passes and her ADM JDM in agility.

They are good little workers in the right hands. :rainbowbridge: We see a few of both varieties in agility.

Ive seen a couple in flyball, i think they were from NSW.....

Havent seen any compete down here in flyball :cry:

I dont really pay much attention to other dogs at agility/obedience trials :)

Edited by tollersowned

Cockers are usually great little retrievers and can do well in Gundog Working Tests. I have never seen one in a retrieving trial though and unfortunately being such a small dog would be at a disadvantage in the sport in Australia. There was an imported working cocker at one of our trials this year who had worked in the UK, but they weren't actually entered. I'd love to see them in competition next season though! I do know there was one competed a number of years ago though. As for fied trials I think you're more likely to see Springers than Cockers.

Like most (all!?) gundogs, Cockers are bred to work with humans and should be able to compete in the popular dog sports with success in Australia.

Hi :rofl:

I know of at least one who loves Flyball and quite a few who do obedience..

I have been pestered by quite a few GSP people to start my guys in Gundog Working Tests.. all I have to do is teach them the retrieve and then I will start competing.

Well, you know how much my guys love agility.. at Manly Dog club we have currently 8 Cocker spaniels in training at agility.