Capstar

There was a dog at the vets I work, and it was COVERED in fleas, so we gave it a capstar tablet, and popped it back in the cage. Went to check back an hour later, and at LEAST 100 dead/dying fleas in the cage with the dog!!!

Just goes to prove, it really does work, and is a flea rinse in a tablet!

-WithEverythingIAm

When Loki picked up fleas from somewhere we gave him capstar (in conjunction with his Sentinal Spectrum) and we found it to have no effect at all... Go figure!!

I wonder why :)

It only works for the fleas that are biting them for 24 hours. If your environment is infested then he's got them jumping back on him constantly. It's not a long term solution and doesn't last for a month like Frontline.

I reckon the fleas must bite harder or something while they are dying. If ever I need to give Capstar my dogs go mental scratching! I've made the mistake of giving it to a crated dog at bedtime and was constantly woken by the noise of the thumping leg on the crate tray all night!

No need for the Cresties - ooh did you get a new one?? Black haired one??

Sure did. Her name is Effie (Belachi Midnight Magic) and she is 4 years old, a retired show dog.

There is a thread about her here ..

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...57&hl=effie

Sorry for the hi-jack, back to the capstar. Yeah it's good stuff but I was always a little worried about what it might be doing to my dogs. That and frontline. Both my dallies died of cancer and I had never had that in a dog before. Probably nothing to do with the flea treatments but I will always wonder. They did live to a good age though.

Still it's one of the reasons for the breed I have now. My OH was paranoid about fleas and the poor dalmatians were being dosed all the time. We had a cat at the time and we have lots of possums, impossible to keep fleas at bay. So this time around he said get one that doesn't shed and doesn't have fleas, silly man. Just as well he has a sense of humour. He reckons that if anyone had told him that he would own bald dogs one day he would have told them they were crazy but he loves them to bits, all three of them.