Slicker Brush

Reddii

Which way should I brush? My little man is moulting like you would not believe (OK, you would, but it's my first experience with a full BC coat) - should I go against the grain of his coat or with it for best results?

I've been brushing with a normal brush every day and removing heaps of coat, but it's just not cutting it.

Not sure if grain is the right word, but you know what I mean hopefully.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Edited by Reddii

I'm no expert. I seem to end up doing a bit of both.

Most important thing is to part the fur, so you're brushing all the way out from the skin.

eta: I failed to part the fur properly recently (pure laziness). Now it's hard work brushing out the tangles off a 25kg dog :thumbsup:

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I personally would not use a slicker on a BC, but if you do go with the grain, and yep work in layers. You might find a rake works better in taking out the undercoat. I only ever washed and blow dried the BC's I groomed, that got all the coat out.

Thanks all for your replies. I'd like to work up to a rake, but at present I'm pretty sure the little man would not tolerate it - he's always been quite happy to be brushed, but doesn't like the pulling sensation of a comb so I'm nervous about going straight to a rake.

Would the rake be more or less harsh than the comb (not having used one before.)

Cheers.

Tony

Thanks all for your replies. I'd like to work up to a rake, but at present I'm pretty sure the little man would not tolerate it - he's always been quite happy to be brushed, but doesn't like the pulling sensation of a comb so I'm nervous about going straight to a rake.

Would the rake be more or less harsh than the comb (not having used one before.)

Cheers.

Tony

Use the comb to get the bulk out by holding it like a pencil and draw the end only through (with the lay of the coat) it's amazing the amount that comes out without stress.

I've always used a comb to take out the coat when the moult is really heavy, eg GSD, BC, Bouves etc

You are then left with a coat that looks normal but has been thinned out quite a lot.

The dog does not get upset by this and it is far easier on you as well.

I got a rake yesterday and spent about 20 minutes using it with him last night - WOW! I can't believe the amount of coat he has shed, but also how easily it takes it all out. The few remaining tangles in the under coat were still a bit of a challenge, but we are close to back on track and should have it fully under control by the end of next week I think.

It's amazing how his coat was still looking ok (to most people's eye, including mine), but how much work it really needed. Yet another lesson learned!

Thanks all for your input!

Tony