Diagnosis Of A Lump

Doris is going on 9 years old with no major health issues except some arthritis. I've recently notice a small lump on or near her hip and during her last annual vet vist for injections mentioned it to the vet. I was told that if I need to find out what it was that it would have to be removed and for the short term just keep an eye on it.

Are there alternatives to removal? Can they xray, ultrasound or biopsy rather than operate to remove it?

It seems a bit tender to the touch (possibly because I'm constantly checking it...) and the lump does seem to be growing. Doris is still the happy, active girl she's always been but I think another vet visit for more investigation is needed.

I'd like to be better informed about options when I take her so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

you could ask for a fine needle aspirate to be done,this gives you a better idea if its just fat or something more serious

If it is not a fatty lump IMO I would have it removed now and send it away to get a definate prognosis,I don't want to scare you but if it is cancerous the sooner it is removed the better.

Thanks Sheree. It's good to know what options there are to see what the lump may or may not be. I'd like to deal with it sooner as I know she is getting on a bit, but thought removal may have been a bit much for a first option and I don't want to put her through an operation if I don't need to.

Thanks again.

Bron&Doris

I know I push the issue but lumps can be dangerous... I know they are not all serious but I have seen enough lately to be of the opinion that they should be aspirated to be sure...

Ollie had a lump that we were told to keep an eyeon it and it turned out the be mast cell cancer...

Now every lump is needle aspirated - every lump, no exceptions... All lumps should be checked IMO...

I tell everyone to do the same with their dog - if you find a lump, have it aspirated - at least you know and then you can decide if it needs to be removed or what ever...

I had a lump on my female Rottweiler checked yesterday at the vet. The vet simply used a needle, took a sample and put it under the microscope straight away. Turns out it's nothing to worry about. Some sort of fat cell. No need to remove it unless it become's large enough to restrict her in any way. It's the one's that you don't get checked out that are bad. Better to be safe than sorry.

Definitely get the vet to do a fine needle aspirate, better to be safe than sorry. My Clover had a new lump checked on Monday and it turned out to be another fatty limpoma, thank goodness.

Definitely get the vet to do a fine needle aspirate, better to be safe than sorry. My Clover had a new lump checked on Monday and it turned out to be another fatty limpoma, thank goodness.

Gotta love those fatty lipomas, hey Clover!

Jodie

*phew* Clover!

Bron and Doris, i'm a convert to getting lumps checked. We ignored a lump on Jack's side for what must be a couple of years. It didn't grow or change in any way that we noticed, yet it turned out to be a grade III mast cell tumour. All gone now, thank goodness.

I'm not saying that's what Doris has! The vet is right that you won't know its nature fully unless it's removed. But it can be tested in-situ in the first instance. Particularly as you mention that the lump has changed.

From my reading of veterinary journals, dogs from about 8 years of age should *always* have their lumps aspirated and sent to the cytology lab for tests. Please insist on getting it done. I think it cost us somewhere around $100 for the consult and pathology, but if the lump is nothing to worry about, it's cheap peace of mind.

Fingers crossed for a good result!

Thanks so much for the responses. I'll get her to the vet and request a fine needle aspiration as soon as possible. I'd be devastated if I left it and it was something more serious. She is, of course, my best mate!

I felt sure there were other alternatives rather than operate to remove it and now I can confidently go in and make the request.

The little darling was on snake alert yesterday while I was at work. Luckily I have a great neighbour who collected Doris(after hearing her barking madly at a snake on the front step) and let her hang out next door with her two little kids for the arvo :laugh: Thank goodness for good neighbours (and a dog who seems to have enough sense to bark loudly from a safe distance rather than attack the snake ...)

an aspirate can give you an indication of what type but it wont tell you if its spread into surrounding tissues or eslewhere. Because of the positioning of the lump it will have to be removed anyway so they kill two birds with one stone and remove then lab. If you are worried about the dog have a pre-anaesthetic blood test done but it would be safer to get the lump removed and then tested rather then a fine needle. Some types require a larger sample then fine needle aspirate as well to be properly diagnosed.

I disagree, Nekhbet.

I'd rather not put the dog through surgery unnecessarily. For only a small outlay and a short vet visit, the lump can be tested and could come back as being normal. Then there would be no need for surgery.

If the lump is nothing to worry about and, as I think you're suggesting, the vet opts for surgery Bron&Doris will be up for ~$800 of vet bills and at least a full day at the surgery, and will have a sore and sorry dog with stitches to look after thereafter.

The less traumatic option for the dog is surely the fine needle aspirate first, then surgery only if necessary?

Oi had a lump on her tail that I had checked out. IT wasn't growing in size or anything but yea I decided to get a second opinion after seeing all these posts about lumps.

It turned out to be a sebaceous cyst (benign) *phew*

Definitely get any lumps checked out! :rofl: there are good results

the only thing I worry about is the position and the fact its growing. If its growing then for safety's sake you would want to remove and take a respectable margin around it. The thing with lumps is that we see the outside, but not how its growing under the skin and surrounding tissue. If its just a cyst that moves with the skin then it wouldnt be a worry, but a lump that isnt too mobile and growing will be excised and then tested to see how far its spread.